LegacyGT.com

Decoding Option Codes

Subaru VIN 6 and 7 digits have the trim and options in them. It is not goi g to have accessories though.

Yeah, VINs typically don't tell you what options are installed. My Volt has a sticker on the inside of the glovebox door which has a list of codes for each option (even if the "option" is standard) installed in the vehicle. With it you can tell exactly what options the vehicle had installed when it sold new. I was wondering if there was something similar for Subaru's.

Yeah, VINs typically don't tell you what options are installed. My Volt has a sticker on the inside of the glovebox door which has a list of codes for each option (even if the "option" is standard) installed in the vehicle. With it you can tell exactly what options the vehicle had installed when it sold new. I was wondering if there was something similar for Subaru's.

It does with Subarus. I have owned GM vehicles and I am very familiar with decoding the RPO codes. The options in Subaru are bundled, the combinations can be put in the VIN, because they don't have that many. I am pretty sure Toyota does this as well by putting it in the VIN. I remember realizing I could look at just the VIN and quickly figure out what model I was looking at when car shopping.

My 2012 GT VIN starts with 4S3BMFK, FK determines my car's options. F -2.5 Turbo, K - Limited + HK + MR

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin2012.html

You can also find this information in the service manual as well.

My car does have the STI STS and mud flaps accessories, it isn't list any where on the car except on the window sticker if it was port installed.

http://www.cars101.com usually has the standard features for what each model trim has.

It does with Subarus. I have owned GM vehicles and I am very familiar with decoding the RPO codes. The options in Subaru are bundled, the combinations can be put in the VIN, because they don't have that many. I am pretty sure Toyota does this as well by putting it in the VIN. I remember realizing I could look at just the VIN and quickly figure out what model I was looking at when car shopping.

My 2012 GT VIN starts with 4S3BMFK, FK determines my car's options. F -2.5 Turbo, K - Limited + HK + MR

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin2012.html

You can also find this information in the service manual as well.

My car does have the STI STS and mud flaps accessories, it isn't list any where on the car except on the window sticker if it was port installed.

www.cars101.com usually has the standard features for what each model trim has.

I did check out cars101.com however the option detail is very limited. I was hoping to find something that would detail every option like my Volt has. For example the VIN doesn't tell me if the car has the security alarm, SirusXM radio tuner, remote key start, or rear bumper protector (to name a handful). My Volt has a sticker located on the inside of the glovebox door which details each of these options. It's a great way for a prospective buyer to know exactly what options a car has. All I need to is ask them to send me a picture of the sticker.

That said the car was delivered this morning so I can go through it myself to see if it has any features which I didn't specifically ask about.

For example the VIN doesn't tell me if the car has the security alarm, SirusXM radio tuner, remote key start, or rear bumper protector (to name a handful).

Those are not options, they are accessories. If your Outback had a Sirius radio tuner (as an example), it did not come off the SIA assembly line in Indiana with that accessory. I live in MA, my SNE port is in RI. Any accessories installed before delivery to the dealer would be installed at that port and it would show up on the window sticker. Any dealer installed accessories would show up on dealer paper work, any owner installed would just be receipts.

Edited by dgoodhue

Those are not options, they are accessories. If your Outback had a Sirius radio tuner (as an example), it did not come off the SIA assembly line in Indiana with that accessory. I live in MA, my SNE port is in RI. Any accessories installed before delivery to the dealer would be installed at that port and it would show up on the window sticker. Any dealer installed accessories would show up on dealer paper work, any owner installed would just be receipts.

If they're not part of every vehicle sold then they're options. Call them accessories if you like but doing so does not change anything.