LegacyGT.com

How to tune 2009 LGT?

So what do I need to tune my bone stock 2009 Legacy GT 5EAT? I bought it in 2016 with 36k on it and it now has 78k on the odometer. I am thinking a Cobb Accessport AP3-SUB-003 might be the right tool to transfer a new tune. How do I find someone to help me with the tune setup? Do I need to do anything else to the car before starting on this adventure? I am looking for something only modest to medium power increase - what the trans will take I guess.

Thats a good starting point. Please know a few things about these cars first like that they are tuned lean from the factory so adding things like air intakes and exhausts lean them out more.

Really the first thing to do if you are going to get a Cobb AP is to find a local Cobb tuner and work with them. Usually if you are buying the Accessport from them you will get a deal on a Pro-Tune which is what you want. The "Off The Shelf" Cobb tunes that are in the AP are not so great and every engine is different so a Pro-Tune is required.

You want to make sure your engine is ready for any tuning you are about to do. At a minimum do a compression leak down test, smoke test for vacuum leaks, new plugs and fluids throughout, any other maintenance required by the tuner. Most tuners will/should ask you what your real goals are.

Then spec out what parts you are going to replace add them and tune it. Otherwise you will be retuning after each little part upgrade and pay a ton of cash to tune.

My 5EAT is tuned for the torque curve and I can tell you it is so much better than stock.

Also keep in mind you are coming up on head gasket, water pump and belt changes at 100k.

A longevity mod that I added is the GetADomTune cylinder 4 cooling mod. Cheap at $80 and balances out the heat across the cylinders and hopefully cures the cylinder 4 failure that these cars develop over time. Again it depends on what your goals are...

If I was going to do it again I would have not added a downpipe and cat back exhaust as it made my car a lot louder inside, more performance for sure but louder to drive. I think a Cat back exhaust is plenty.

Good luck!

2009 LGT/5EAT here with 73k. Bought an AP3 and flashed stage 1/93 oct tune back around 55k along with removing banjo filter, installing a new turbo inlet, plugs, fluids, etc. It runs better than it did but there is room for growth I feel (think custom tune). The transmission...while it isn't garbage.....they sure do have a mind of their own.

Buy an AP3 and send Cryotune or one of the others a message for an etune. You will be happy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Edited by whitexc

https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Contact Dave first, see what he can offer you.

Before you flash stage 1 tune from the Cobb AP, make sure the car runs well. Clean MAF sensor and air filter, spark plugs in good shape.

07-09's don't seem to have issues with the banjo filters like the 05-06 did.

Watch your oil usage, always keep if topped off.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes on the oil. I’ve never had one that didn’t consume oil. The only one I knew of that didn’t was my cousins anomaly of an 06 wrx. Car had header, catless turbo back and an mbc set just under boost cut and never had a tune. Bought it in 06 with 10,000miles that was voluntarily repossessed to the dealership. Car had a hard life, always had a cel (p0420), went through three trans and like 5 clutches and at 170,000 didn’t burn a drop of oil and passed a leak down test! I with they were all this robust

So what do I need to tune my bone stock 2009 Legacy GT 5EAT? I bought it in 2016 with 36k on it and it now has 78k on the odometer. I am thinking a Cobb Accessport AP3-SUB-003 might be the right tool to transfer a new tune. How do I find someone to help me with the tune setup? Do I need to do anything else to the car before starting on this adventure? I am looking for something only modest to medium power increase - what the trans will take I guess.

Make sure that your car has no vacuum leaks, a clean MAF sensor, a good front O2 sensor, and is otherwise in perfect working shape before modifying it. A Legacy GT with under 100K is a pretty worthwhile car and it would probably be a good car to leave stock if you care about resale value. If you don't, then flash the Cobb Stage 1 tune and call it good until you're ready to dump money into a downpipe and (preferably) a tune on a dyno.

Yes on the oil. I’ve never had one that didn’t consume oil.

In the 40k+ that I have owned this car it does not burn any oil but yes I do check it regularly just the same. I've been using Amsoil SS 5w30 since I bought it and do 4k change intervals.

Make sure that your car has no vacuum leaks, a clean MAF sensor, a good front O2 sensor, and is otherwise in perfect working shape before modifying it. A Legacy GT with under 100K is a pretty worthwhile car and it would probably be a good car to leave stock if you care about resale value. If you don't, then flash the Cobb Stage 1 tune and call it good until you're ready to dump money into a downpipe and (preferably) a tune on a dyno.

Hmmm, now I am second guessing the choice to mod or not. It has been super reliable and mostly a daily driver to get me to work and back. Resale value is of little concern as I will likely own it until it is dead. Maybe I just have the itch since I've been cooped up in my home office for 9 months now. I will think on it for a week or two. BTW, what does the Cobb stage 1 tune do for it?

In the 40k+ that I have owned this car it does not burn any oil but yes I do check it regularly just the same. I've been using Amsoil SS 5w30 since I bought it and do 4k change intervals.

Hmmm, now I am second guessing the choice to mod or not. It has been super reliable and mostly a daily driver to get me to work and back. Resale value is of little concern as I will likely own it until it is dead. Maybe I just have the itch since I've been cooped up in my home office for 9 months now. I will think on it for a week or two. BTW, what does the Cobb stage 1 tune do for it?

Proper throttle response (rather than Subarus awful 20% throttle equates to 900% throttle on the ECU), cuts any rev hang the car might have that was tuned in at the factory, it's a bit faster, smooths out power delivery, and just feels a bit better overall.

I'd still highly recommend having a tuning shop do a pre-dyno inspection for you before flashing the tune. Rubber and plastics don't age well and there's a good chance you're on borrowed time on some hoses, clamps, etc that could cause a boost leak. They'll check your MAF sensor, your boost controller, etc.

Your going to want to zip tie all the vacuum hose too before you increase boost.

Here's one spot to get too.

DSCN4695.thumb.JPG.1a0c71068526d7ed3997d474260158d3.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here