LegacyGT.com

So, its emission inspection time...

So I've been wonder how I can go about passing emission inspection in about a month. What is the normal go to way? Does everyone go back to stock exhaust and downpipe and flash the oem tune?

I'm a bit passed a stage 2 setup, and tuned, 300+hp. And my exhaust isn't catted, or downpipe, so I'm a guaranteed fail, red sticker, and I'm a little late getting ahead of it.

So question is, how did you guys adjust to get passed inspection?

Thanks in advance for any usable tips.

Depends on where you live and who does your inspection. Safe bet, throw in the stock emissions stuff, flash tune pass and revert. Where I’m at, I passed no problem with a catless up pipe, catted 3 inch downpipe. My truck which has its egr removed, a catless 4 inch exhaust from the turbo all the way back passed which shocked me. I brought it in mostly for kicks and they plugged into the obd2 port, called a few of their buddies to look at it and asked me a few questions about how much power it made then gave me a passing slip.

Sounds like you should have bought a catted Dp. Here in CT both my cars pass with a Invidia catted Dp. I got tired of changing the catless Dp once every two years out for the OEM Dp. So a few years back I changed over to a catted DP on the wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
Depends on where you live and who does your inspection. Safe bet, throw in the stock emissions stuff, flash tune pass and revert. Where I’m at, I passed no problem with a catless up pipe, catted 3 inch downpipe. My truck which has its egr removed, a catless 4 inch exhaust from the turbo all the way back passed which shocked me. I brought it in mostly for kicks and they plugged into the obd2 port, called a few of their buddies to look at it and asked me a few questions about how much power it made then gave me a passing slip.

I've had luck like this in the past, but friends have me skeptic about even approaching a inspection station, and supposedly there is a specific line or person they direct you to when they see a tuner car driving up.

Sounds like you should have bought a catted Dp. Here in CT both my cars pass with a Invidia catted Dp. I got tired of changing the catless Dp once every two years out for the OEM Dp. So a few years back I changed over to a catted DP on the wagon.

This approach may just be what I do, my tuner did steer me away from going catted, so that was my main reason to get one without a cat to begin with. Maybe I'll throw the stock one on and give it a go. Then go search for an aftermarket catted one like the Cobb catted dp.

Sell your not catted DP to the vape bro crowd and swap in a catted one. You’ll never have to worry about it again :)

Sooooo you interested? Haha kidding, 😄 yeah likely the route I'll be taking.

FWIW, swapping to a catted Dp will have no effect on the Tune or power.

Uninstall the AP. Drive 30 miles at 55mph. Smog. Pass. Reflash

I wish it were that easy, but stock rom doesn't account for 1050cc injectors, bigger turbo etc. Also pretty certain that if it did, and I ran it that way to emissions, I'd smell like I swam in 93 octane when I stepped out of the car. Haha

• 3 months later...

Sorry, it's been a minute, but I went and welded in GESI Cat on the Invidia DP and took it to inspection. Passed with flying colors, getting better mpg, and less stinky aromas, less, not zero, but less is good. As far as the misses is concerned too.

I'll grab an image or two from my camera and post it for reference.

Sorry, it's been a minute, but I went and welded in GESI Cat on the Invidia DP and took it to inspection. Passed with flying colors, getting better mpg, and less stinky aromas, less, not zero, but less is good. As far as the misses is concerned too.

I'll grab an image or two from my camera and post it for reference.

This is exactly what I did. I'm happy with the decision and don't worry any more.

It seems like thats the route I will have to go. I just picked up a specb from a state that doesnt require emissions and took need to get it inspected in pa. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about it for 1 year before i qualify for emissions exempt at <5000 mi/year

• 2 weeks later...