LegacyGT.com

Quick Hi from a new member and figuring out my suspension

I have owned a 2011 Legacy 3.6R Ltd since Feb. of this year.. Love it to bits, but HATE HATE HATE the suspension... It clunks, it bangs, it wallows.. It creeks

Ive had the whole thing rebuilt with OEM Subaru stuff and its still crap..

So Im here to lurk, read and find answers to give this beast the handling she deserves...

I love my Legacy but the suspension is annoying. Im a spirted driver and enjoy every moment behind the wheel

IF there are any stickies or threads or anything you are willing to throw on here go for it.. Gonna take me a few days to slog through the site

Very excited to be here. The 3.6 was always a dream of mine and I found mine at Carmax in Maryland for $11995 with 75K miles.. One owner that started in Stamford CT and then to Philly.. I brought it home to the WNC mountains

Thanks again and hope this is as fruitful as the other car forums im in

have you checked/replaced your other suspension components(control arms, bushings, etc) as well, or just the struts? did you replace the strut mounts when replacing the suspension? could be a whole whack of things that are making noise

Yeah the stock '10-12 suspension was on the soft side. IMO the ideal suspension for a driver is Koni Stuts inserts/shock with lowering springs, bigger rear sway bar and adjustable rear LCA (to fix the rear camber). You can also do a 2013/2014 front sway bar as well but they are a little more work to install. If you are on budget KYB, 2013/2014 Springs, and 2015+ WRX/STI 20mm rear sway bar.

Do you still have clunks in the suspension after being rebuilt? The front LCA rear pancake bushing tears eventually causes issue and noises at higher miles, replacing the LCA fixes this issue.

I replaced my '10 suspension for new struts and stock '13+ springs with Whiteline sway bars front and rear. That was about perfect for me. It went from bottoming out turning into the grocery store to feeling like a slightly sporty sedan.

I would highly recommend a stiffer rear sway bar at a minimum. It kills that stupid floaty feeling that the car has stock.

I am currently on 13/14 springs and Koni's - have the 19mm sti rear swaybar and the 26mm 13/14 front swaybar and am pretty happy with the suspension (worlds better than stock, which was a bit soft) - you are lucky with the 3.6 - installing a front swaybar is a walk in the park! (not so much with the 2.5)