LegacyGT.com

Rebuilding Shifter Linkage

peerless

So I just recently purchased a 02 Legacy wagon and it has a sloppy shifter, and leaking rear seals. Sounds like a great project to get started with on the car.

So I am getting a little confused on the shift knuckle, Should I buy the entire knuckle complete, or should I buy the individual bushings and rebuild the knuckle? It looks like there was 2 styles, one was fully rebuildable and the later one like mine has a permanently pressed pin and bushing arrangement. I was thinking the pin could be ground down and pressed out and new bushings and bolt and nut back together, essentially back dating it to the older style. Anyone ever do this or familiar with it?

The entire knuckle appears to be about $75 from the dealer, or I could buy all the knuckle bushings and bolt/nuts to convert for about $25, more work, but much less expensive.

I seen rock auto has a energy suspension polyurethane shift bushing kit for about $20 which seems like a great price, these are the bushings for the actual shift arm bracket. One where it attaches to the body and the round doughnut one at the transmission.

Any other parts, tips/tricks, as I get started on this project.

Thanks