LegacyGT.com

Is it me, or is there no low end torque?

Hi guys,..

Im curious if its just my car since i bought it used with 60k on the odometer, but does this car lack the low end torque and response compared to the the older models?

Im not sure if its because of the exhaust design now being without the unequal length manifolds or if im used to higher hp cars, but i feel the low end isnt there..

Since buying my 2011 lgt used 2 yrs ago, here is my list of mods:

Kn air panel filter

TMIC forgot the brand but is one of the brands for our model year mentioned on this forum

Invidia jpipe

Invidia dual n1 catback

Grimmspeed 3 port solenoid

Oem turbo

Cobb accessport

PDX tuned by Jarrad to run 14psi low or 16psi boost (i have low and high boost maps)

Dynoed at 300hp/300tq respectively on 16 psi map but spiking to 21 psi max at peak

I run the 16 psi map daily

Tuned so that there is more throttle response on throttle tip in (requested by me to Jarrad)

Prior to tune, i did new spark plugs, all oils changedfor engine, trans and rear diff

Im not sure if the oem turbo is more for top end as is does feel more power in top.

Maybe because the 11’ lgt is a much heavier car?

I know im not maxing out on boost gojng with a 14 and 16 psi tune, but Jarrad stated that there is boost spiking to 20-21 max in any case even with the 3 port.

I went with going lower than 18 psi For a daily driver so as not to face and head gasket problems per the forums recommendations.

Perhaps the stock turbo is like this anyways? But i ran pretty good on my 05’ lgt long ago on oem turbo and that felt better down low...

Any suggestions?

Edited by abakja1

Not sure if you've seen this old thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-gt-power-roadblocks-and-solutions-259192.html

Depending on budget and availability, E85 + sti exhaust cams and maybe then look at the turbo.

The 7cm2 turbine housing appears to be limiting.

Personally I did the cams when my headgaskets failed. Still needed to push the E85 tune further but haven't yet figured out the turbo (likely getting what I have balanced soon).

Would be nice to hear from others because I agree that power delivery is not that exciting on this platform.

I'm running a stage 2 block, E85, HTA71 turbo, STi cams, etc...

The car runs a bit more like a STi, where you need to run the RPM's up higher to get to the turbo/power band. My boost kicks in around 3300RPM and with the turbo mounted down low it produces a bit more torque. My car pulls like crazy and certainly slips the tires at WOT. When that torque and boost kicks in the smile starts up and won't go away till it breaks...:)

The old Bugeye I had produced the boost at a lower RPM and didn't have as much on the upper end. The LGT is a much more fun boost to feel, it really digs and goes.

What RPM are you hitting 16psi boost?

Mine would hit ~17psi at 2700 RPM and it felt very torquey from then on. Below that, it was like a 2.5 with a restriction. On the top at about 5000 RPM the torque fell off a cliff, so I wouldn't really consider it a top end turbo. From looking at dynos of older LGTs, and driving my buddie's '09 WRX stage 2, I thought my '10 LGT had more low end torue.

What RPM are you hitting 16psi boost?

Mine would hit ~17psi at 2700 RPM and it felt very torquey from then on. Below that, it was like a 2.5 with a restriction. On the top at about 5000 RPM the torque fell off a cliff, so I wouldn't really consider it a top end turbo. From looking at dynos of older LGTs, and driving my buddie's '09 WRX stage 2, I thought my '10 LGT had more low end torue.

This is what I feel too as you described.

I had a 2005 LGT and that felt much more driveable down low whereas the 11' feels like you need to rev it more to get into the powerband when comparing stage II setups.

Ive modded both cars, so trying to make a comparison on the 11' I have now, compared to the 05, I sold back in 2010 as the 11" I feel I really have to get it past 3500rpms to get it going. the 05' felt quicker down low, and more eager to rev up to redline.

I thought that either the 11' I bought had a tired turbo or perhaps gearing or weight may be a factor,, but its not as "peppy" as the 05 I had with similiar mods before going stage III.

Im keeping the 11' lgt at stage II as I want it to be less tendency to breaking down since it got 66k miles on it now..

I haven't owned a 05-09 GT only test drove a couple. My friend owns a 2013 WRX and we both think my '12GT has more low end torque. In theory,our car should have better low end, the 5th Gen GT, higher Compression 9.5:1, low mount turbo with shorter exhaust tubes, and Dual AVCS.

One thing, I notice is that your dyno numbers are different than mine. Mine car is a stage I (tune/3 port boost solenoid/bypass valve) and it did 292whp/340wtq with a custom tune. It did 276whp/315wtq with Cobb AP OTS tune. I don't take that much stock in actual peak numbers themself due to dyno to dyno variations, but I do believe in the charges and differences. My car clearly makes more torque than HP, which your peak HP = TQ

I wonder if it is your tune and your tuner doesn't have much experience tuning 5th Gens's. If Cobb has stage II for you car, maybe you should loading that tune in to see if it helps.

That's a good point too - my dyno numbers were 297hp/380tq

My torque peak was at ~3300 RPMs

It's pretty impossible to compare actual hp numbers from one dyno to another, but my torque was like 26% higher than my hp, and yours are equal.

I would be wary of those hp/tq numbers as well, unless your clutch is going, that would explain a lot. As for the weight, its not significant between the two gens of legacy. And the equal length header produces more power/torque as well.

If you have a smooth tune, you may just not be getting the kick in the pants feel you are used to with turbos since the power curve is swelling steadily.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk