LegacyGT.com

Diff dipstick stuck - 06 2.5i auto

Hi. I just picked up my brother's '06 Legacy wagon for my daughter, and I'm working through all of the maintenance items/fluid changes. Unfortunately, the dipstick for the front differential won't budge, and I'm afraid of just snapping it off if I get too rough with it.

Anyone ever had this issue, and if so how did you resolve? I've searched and seen posts about dipsticks stuck in tubes but haven't come across anything with the 2.5i auto.

Thanks,

Jeff

I've never heard of this, but it seems you're not alone. Here are some random things I found searching "4eat dipstick stuck" on google

"I finally got the Automatic dipstick out! I did what plain OM suggested and smothered some ATF fluid around the dipstick tube and let it sit awhile, then I had to took a pair of visegrips and secured them to the yellow handle and pull hard to get it out.Like Plain OM said the rubber o-ring is binding in the metal tube. I took the o-ring off and it was still binding so I ended up using a fine file to bring it down a tad and it slips right in now.But the o-ring still binds so I'll keep it off for now."

"just got 2 "new" soobies and cant pull out auto dipstick !!! one has broken yellow plastic ring.

Ok, so here is now the trick to pull them beasts out.....

gotta get underneath..from bottom and "push" out....but, first make up special tool...

bit of PVC pipe..hole size of small pinky....grind 2-3 inches back half round..then from underneath and small hammer.."bang" it up and out.

Get rid of small rubber sealing o ring."

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/transmission-dipstick-stuck-in-tube.39676/

"TA DA!!! I finally got it out. I sprayed liberaly with Deep Creep. I then used a combination of vicegrips, screwdrivers and a small crowbar to pry it out. At first the top half of the plastic part broke off leaving the part with the oring stuck in the tube. I then added more Deep Creep and moved the stick around like I was stiring paint. Still would not move. I then took a small crowbar and my large torque wrench to use as a fulcrum and wedged it against the turbo shield and a bracket under the intercooler. After much effort and a few choice words it popped out. The oring was swollen and covered in rust. I took a battery brush and some more Deep Creep and cleaned the inside of the tube. When I installed the new stick and then pulled it out the oring stayed in the tube. I fished it out and it seemed to be a very loose fit on the stick. I had a pack of orings and put the smallest one that would fit over the stick and into the groove. Now it's in and out fine but snug enough to stay in. The oil looked good and close to the top mark on the stick. Thanks for all the advice. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone as two and a half hours just to remove a dipstick is crazy.

Thanks again, Bahama"

"I am resurrecting this thread, just in case anyone else has this issue.. .I know i did about a year ago. We pulled, rotated vice grips the works! Broke the loop; the whole 9 yards.

What i ended up doing is going under it with a long flat head screwdriver. from under the car i caught the lip of the yellow plastic part where it touches the tube. lined it up with the flat head and whacked the screw driver with a hammer a couple times! popped right out!"

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2009-stuck-front-differential-dipstick.118949/page-3

one more reply with a pic, from the same thread above.

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2009-stuck-front-differential-dipstick.118949/post-7398779

Might need to spray it with some PB Blaster. Let it sit over night and see if you can move it.

Spray the underside if you can.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here