LegacyGT.com

Rod bearing failure?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is hard to say. I hear belt tensioner but it's hard to know for sure. Have you torn open the oil filter?

I think tensioner as well but if he can't get the end covers off, then I doubt he can get the center cover off lol. Oil is his best bet! Check the condition of your oil if your not handy with a wrench! Changing your oil is like the most basic of basic car diy's.

Look at it this way, had the timing been done recently the bolt would not have snapped.. that being said, the tensioner sits under the center cover. You can see it if you remove the driver side timing cover and look at an angle with a light. Good luck, please update!

The bolt was snapped when I got to it. It turned freely when I put a wrench on it. Thinking they torqued it down to hard and it snapped either the bolt or whatever it's secured into. I was able to get the other 3 bolts on the driver's side timing belt cover to see in while it was running and the timing belt had no sloppiness that I could tell. All the components looked decent, belt had no glossiness on the backside and still had some white markings.

Going to have it flat bedded to a place I can get it on jack stands and drain the oil (complex doesn't allow vehicle repairs) but it's up for sale. Just trying to figure out what's going on for potential buyers.

• 4 weeks later...

Drained the oil and ran a quart through a fine mesh screen. There were some flakes and fine sediment that felt gritty between my fingers. Not looking good to my untrained eyes. Also had some eyelash looking pieces in there. This is one of the larger flakes I found on the end of a q tip. Have some other pictures of what I found but they won't upload.

I've had the car listed a few places but the best offer was $400 so far. Im really thinking about buying a new shortblock and getting the heads rebuilt but need to reach out to some knowledgeable shops around here.

20201226_194509.thumb.jpg.004d2899cdcb5692a60ada348e027387.jpg

yea thats the bad stuff... your shortblock is fubar! Welcome to the #ynansb club!

For parts its about 1800 for a new sb shipped, plus another 500-800 to rebuild the heads, and an oil cooler $250. If your timing belt kit was just changed, you can probably salvage that.

Also will need to change rebuild or clean the oil pump, avcs cam gears and turbo.

Plus a master gasket kit another 200 bucks.

The motor is worth more than the car!