LegacyGT.com

Ecm replacement

So I have a P0032 code pop up after I replaced my headers. The harness was tight and unable to reach the A/F sensor connection. So I bought an harness extension for the A/F sensor, installed it and cleared the codes. Start the car and code comes right back. Performed a resistance check from the engine bay main connection to the sensor and all wires checked out fine. So then I started looking into the ecm, performed some voltage checks and couldn’t seem to get any feedback for the results. (And I checked all fuses)

So now I’m around eBay for a used ecm. While there are used m/t gt ecms available, none of them match my part number. Does anyone have any input as to whether or not a different part number would be compatible?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! Where in MD are you? Not sure why the harness wouldn't reach, but there could be a few possible causes of this issue. Did you follow the diag procedure?

Thanks. I’m in Southern MD. Apparently the borla header sensor spot sticks out a little further than others. I contacted my buddy that works for Subaru and he sent me the test plan, so I followed that. There were only 2 steps, checked resistance through the harness and checked voltage at the ecm. But my voltage readings didn’t seem legit so that’s still in question. I may try to take another crack at that when I get some free time and day light. What ideas do you have in mind? Any information would be greatly appreciated, I miss having my sport # mode lol (and cruise control)

• 4 months later...

UPDATE: I finally said screw it and pulled the trigger on a used ecm. Had a friend of mine that’s still at the dealership, program the keys and everything works great. No more check engine light. So it is possible to transfer ecm’s.

When I did this on my 07 they said there was no way to re-assign a new vin to the used ECU. Key programming was easy. That being said I had to mail a letter with proof of replacement to the DMV so when I go through emissions the vin miss match is allowed. Copying the tune of course can be done with any tuning tool, accessport or open source. I doubt a dealer would put anything other than the factory tune on it though if they did the swap, liability reasons.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

When I did this on my 07 they said there was no way to re-assign a new vin to the used ECU. Key programming was easy. That being said I had to mail a letter with proof of replacement to the DMV so when I go through emissions the vin miss match is allowed. Copying the tune of course can be done with any tuning tool, accessport or open source. I doubt a dealer would put anything other than the factory tune on it though if they did the swap, liability reasons.

There are a few ways to update the VIN; physically move the chip from the old ECU to replacement ECU, flash the ROM, or get a dealer with a programming tool to do it. I am a little confused how your setup is working with an ECU that would say a different VIN because the immobilizer requires it to match the BIU and Cluster as far as I knew.

There are a few ways to update the VIN; physically move the chip from the old ECU to replacement ECU, flash the ROM, or get a dealer with a programming tool to do it. I am a little confused how your setup is working with an ECU that would say a different VIN because the immobilizer requires it to match the BIU and Cluster as far as I knew.
Not sure, but when it gets plugged into the emissions machine the vin is not the one on the car. I'd love to know where the vin is located in the ROM because I have the ability to flash that. I know that's how it works on my Beretta but I was never able to find a vin value in my 07 tune file. As well as I was told at the dealer that the ECU's are burned with the vin and it can't be modified, it can only be written to a new ECU.

I had to trailer the car to a dealer to have them fix the immobilizer since when I plugged that ECU in it wouldn't start. I'm not sure what he had to do to fix it, maybe updated those other components to match the ECU vin, but it's been running like this for years.

Ah, that makes more sense.

As far as I know there are two places there is a VIN (or equivalent) in the ECU.

The first is the security chip. It has the VIN flashed in ROM. That's what the dealer did when they fixed your immobilizer problem; they flashed your VIN into that chip on the donor ECU so it would be accepted by the BIU and Cluster in your car.

Apparently, there is another location for the VIN for it to come up on readers. I haven't dealt with emissions so I haven't researched trying to figure out where they get the VIN number from. It might be in the tune somewhere or it might be in yet another location in the ECU.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Apparently, there is another location for the VIN for it to come up on readers. I haven't dealt with emissions so I haven't researched trying to figure out where they get the VIN number from. It might be in the tune somewhere or it might be in yet another location in the ECU.

I believe that's the section that they said they could not change at all. That resulted in my car failing on its first emissions test after the swap. A quick discussion with the DMV and proof of a replacement ECU purchase was all they required to add an exception to my VIN(s).

My 96 Beretta I was able to change the VIN in the bin file and it updated the whole ECU.(huge generation difference and platform but OBDII) I've never had an issue with that car when going through emissions, always registers as the correct vin.

• 3 weeks later...

That’s weird! I plugged the new one in, my buddy connected the scan tool in and was done within 5 minutes. Programmed the keys, and vin # so it would match. I guess it helps that I’m good friends with someone there. I know most dealerships don’t want to deal with a used situation because either they’re scared and want you to buy new.

That’s weird! I plugged the new one in, my buddy connected the scan tool in and was done within 5 minutes. Programmed the keys, and vin # so it would match. I guess it helps that I’m good friends with someone there. I know most dealerships don’t want to deal with a used situation because either they’re scared and want you to buy new.

You stated new one?... I had a used one from a junk yard.

You stated new one?... I had a used one from a junk yard.

UPDATE: I finally said screw it and pulled the trigger on a used ecm. Had a friend of mine that’s still at the dealership, program the keys and everything works great. No more check engine light. So it is possible to transfer ecm’s.

says bought a used one. the buddy seems like the key

says bought a used one. the buddy seems like the key

Eh one may never know I guess. That car is getting retired in a few weeks anyways and the VIN miss match didn't cause any issues after notifying the DMV. [emoji2371]

Take a learning view shot and see if the ECM vin matches your windshield.