LegacyGT.com

LGT Dual Exhaust - true dual or show?

bolbo

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I remember reading something way back when about how the GT's exhaust was specifically designed for maximizing torque. Now, there is a whole debate on whether or not turbo'd cars gain any torque benefits from back pressure. I don't intend to start this debate, but I do put some faith in Subaru engineers when it comes to these boxer engines. We will only really know once someone dyno's a prototype turboback, downpipe, or catback systems. It's a little early for this.[/quote] It's not back pressure, it's the resonance of the pipe that helps move the exhaust along at certain frequencies, and not at others. Think of it like a guitar string. By changing the length and tension you can change which frequencies are reinforced. You need an engineer that has a good grip on 2nd/3rd year college physics. I don't really trust tuners to do that.

from what I have seen in honda forums, running a single big pipe from the header back gets you better power on a turbo 4 banger. The legacy exhaust seems to be mostly for the sound and the look. I have a big International Scout II with a 304 v8 and I have a pipe on each header going all the way back, with no equalizing X pipe of H pipe. If you look at the piping on the new GTO it has an x-pipe with header back true dual exhaust. so, the legacy does not have dual exhaust, it just has dual tips. It would be difficult and totally unnecessary to have true dual exhaust on a single turbo car. Have you ever seen dual exhaust on any big turbo diesel trucks...no because you dont need it. but on the Legacy it does look damn cool

• 2 weeks later...
After looking it over in my garage, I'd have to say the car would be faster if Subaru had just routed one larger pipe all the way back from the cat to one high flow muffler on the driver side. This would have reduced weight and improved flow. The way it is, it looks great to the spectator in the car behind you, but for optimal performance, its a waist.

[quote name='D-2.5-GT'][quote name='Drift Monkey']By the way I made a sound clip with the mufflers off yesterday... I'll post it later....:twisted:[/quote] did you put a new exhaust on or something?[/quote] Um...I did exactly what I said, made a sound clip with the mufflers off....and with the DP unbolted. Just bored I guess... :P :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sounds pretty mean DM- so when are you going to eliminate the resonator and post a clip so I don't have to be the first one to hack mine up? ;)

• 1 month later...
[quote name='irunfromcops']if the exhuast split closer to the turbo (ie: before the cat) there would have to be 2 catalytic converters which are not cheap.[/QUOTE] Um...the LGT has 3 catalytic converters. 1 in the uppipe, 1 in the downpipe and 1 after the downpipe. As already stated, a true dual exhaust would be impossible without twin turbos. An ideal setup for this car (for street use) would be a single pipe from the turbo all the way out the back with 1 exit.

Archived