LegacyGT.com

Er-ss and Er-hc errors in the dash

Hi,

Recently, my 2007 legacy AT oil light started to flash. The dash shows P0600, P0700, C0140 errors. I noticed also that sometimes both engine temperature and gear letter light flashes together. Unfortunately, Subaru is not popular here in Palestine so, I couldn't find out a mechanic who can fix it till now or even diagnose the issue . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?q=c0140+subaru&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=C0140&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l4.7887j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Google should help with the other codes.

Here's the USDM service manual...http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm also chasing the intermittent ABS light on my 2005. I'm sure its just a dirty sensor. But can't be sure until I get a code reader that will tell me which sensor it is if the light comes on.

I do have a trusted mechanic who has let me use his computer that plugs in and then I drive the car and can watch real time data on wheel speed. That's how I verified the Moog front hubs didn't work on these cars back years ago.

My light doesn't flash it just comes on sometimes.

I did replace the left rear a couple years back, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/left-rear-wheel-speed-sensor-r-r-257633.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I just sent a PM to a trusted member of this Forum that used to own a repair shop. I linked this thread to him.

If he's around he might be some help.

All 3 codes will be related to the same root cause. ECM lost comm with the TCM causing code 600, TCM lost comm (probably with the ABS) and caused 700, the ABS module lost something causing 140. Due to the age of the car and the possible location (you did say "Palestine" yes?) I would start with the grounds and verify power to the ABS module. In the 5EAT when the ABS goes haywire the entire car goes haywire as the TCM and ABS module are "linked". Losing the signal from a single wheel bearing ABS sensor can cause the car to stall.

Thanks m sprank for your help, really appreciated. Can you please clarify some points in your response so it may help me fix the issue.

1- How does the location contribute to this problem?

2- I have 4EAT not 5EAT would this make any difference?

3- I used a mobile app to test the wheel speed sensors. Unfortunately, It doesn't give a reading for the 4 sensor not sure why. Here is the readings do they show any problem? Sometimes they show the same reading for both of them

Front Wheel Speed (km/h) Rear Wheel Speed (km/h)

44 48

44 48

44 48

44 48

44 42

44 42

44 42

44 42

44 42

44 42

44 42

44 42

44 42

39 42

39 42

39 42

39 42

39 42

39 42

39 42

39 35

39 35

39 35

4- I read that Er-SS or 55 is related to wheel speed sensor Is this correct? or the same error can show up if there is a problem with the ABS?

Note: when I put elm obd2 adapter the car shifts normally not sure if this can show something.

I'm sorry for asking too much questions but couldn't find someone who can help me here. So your help is really appreciated.

Edited by fodeh

4, That Er-SS and a ABS light are the same thing. The ABS system uses wheel speed sensors to tell if things are correct. As I understand it.

Location because I assume its a little dusty in Palestine. Dust accumulated in electrical connectors or in/on sensors can cause odd issues.

Not sure about that 5km/hr difference between front and rear. But at least it appears the ABS module is reading something and sending a signal to the TCM.

If you dont have any ABS codes specific to a wheel speed sensor then I would check the grounds and clean the connectors first.

• 2 years later...
On 9/12/2020 at 12:42 PM, fodeh said:

Hi,

Recently, my 2007 legacy AT oil light started to flash. The dash shows P0600, P0700, C0140 errors. I noticed also that sometimes both engine temperature and gear letter light flashes together. Unfortunately, Subaru is not popular here in Palestine so, I couldn't find out a mechanic who can fix it till now or even diagnose the issue . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did you ever find a solution by any chance? I’m having the same issue Same codes.