LegacyGT.com

Heated seats not working

Alright so I had a 2004 legacy with leather interior that had heated seats,

I bought a 2005 legacy with fabric interior that didn't have heated seats.

The 2004 was on its last legs so I wanted to swap the interior over to my new one. Everything bolted in fine. The wiring loom was all the same. And everything plugged in fine, so I thought great.

But the heated seats don't work. The lights on the heater switch light up when I turn the headlights on its getting some kind of power. But the heated seats still don't work. I checked all the fuses, checked all the loom of the old car and new car. All the wires were the same color. Everything matched. Even the electric adjustable seat worked when I had it all plugged in.

So does anyone know what might be my problem, or how I can go about diagnosing it. Or if anyone has a wiring diagram from that section.

New car is a 2005 legacy 3.0 manual if that makes a difference.

Any help would be great, cheers.

Edited by BrettCowie02

Next diagnostic I would do would be to test the plug at the seats w/ a multimeter to verify power is getting to the seat.

Not uncommon for the heating elements in the seat to fail, so that's a possibility. Although unlikely, but not impossible, for it to be out on both seats.

Just cause the loom looks the same and connects doesn't mean the wiring is actually the same. It may have the wiring and look like it should work, but from the factory they might not put in a relay or a fuse or the wiring might go to different places. I would confirm you have a fuse for "seat htr". And confirm if it has a relay.

Where did you get the heated seat console panel with the dials, the on switch!? Did you source that from the old car or get one from a 4th gen?

I got it working, next to the fuse box under the dash there are 8 relays that for some reason aren't mentioned anywhere, and are kinda hidden under wires and stuff. The top right one was missing and thats the heated seat relay that doesn't come with the car. So I swapped it out with one of the other relays there and they starting working. Easy fix for such a frustrating problem

• 2 weeks later...