LegacyGT.com

Should I change the radiator?

If the wetness is definitely coolant, and it's not from you spilling some up top, or leaking from the upper radiator hose, I'd replace it before waiting for it to fail on it's own. Better to do the replacement on your terms, then when the old one decides to leak catastrophically and leave you stranded!. There are a few threads on upgraded aluminum radiators that should work, or just get an OEM one.

I would rent a pressure tester and test it to be sure it was leaking. Then I would upgrade to an all aluminum radiator, but I have a GT and its hot as hell in Florida right now.

I can't seem to find a pressure tester to rent in my area. Think it is upgrade time Lol definitely not hot as hell in montreal :lol:

If the wetness is definitely coolant, and it's not from you spilling some up top, or leaking from the upper radiator hose, I'd replace it before waiting for it to fail on it's own. Better to do the replacement on your terms, then when the old one decides to leak catastrophically and leave you stranded!. There are a few threads on upgraded aluminum radiators that should work, or just get an OEM one.

Good point, better to get on top of it now. Yup found those threads this forum has always been awesome for that sort of stuff. Thanks

That is not your radiator we're looking at. That is your air conditioning condenser. It is wet because it is most likely has a crack of some sort and is leaking oil. Replacing it isn't too terrible but you need somebody to evacuate it first then recharge it. You will need 2 o-rings. If you're not sure it's the condenser, look at the radiator (which is on the inside) for wetness or do a pressure test as others have mentioned. I see way more condensers fail than radiators.

Subieguys.com

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

That is not your radiator we're looking at. That is your air conditioning condenser. It is wet because it is most likely has a crack of some sort and is leaking oil. Replacing it isn't too terrible but you need somebody to evacuate it first then recharge it. You will need 2 o-rings. If you're not sure it's the condenser, look at the radiator (which is on the inside) for wetness or do a pressure test as others have mentioned. I see way more condensers fail than radiators.

Subieguys.com

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Thanks! You are bang on I made a mistake it is the AC condenser. I need to find someone you can evacuate the system for me. Thanks again.

If that stain were from the condenser you wouldnt have AC by now. That big of a AC leak to cause that stain would evacuate all your refrigerant for sure.

If you still have cold AC, that leak is probably coolant from the radiator behind it.

If that stain were from the condenser you wouldnt have AC by now. That big of a AC leak to cause that stain would evacuate all your refrigerant for sure.

If you still have cold AC, that leak is probably coolant from the radiator behind it.

After closer inspection the reason I think it is the condenser is that the round cylinder attached to the consider (evaporator i think it is called?) is also showing the same stain about half of the cylinder. I think I will get it pressure tested to remove all doubt

Is your AC blowing cold?

If it is, that stain is NOT from your condenser, or any part of your AC system.

Any AC leak that throws out that much compressor oil will also evacuate all your refrigerant, and your AC will not be blowing cold.

• 1 month later...
Is your AC blowing cold?

If it is, that stain is NOT from your condenser, or any part of your AC system.

Any AC leak that throws out that much compressor oil will also evacuate all your refrigerant, and your AC will not be blowing cold.

Yes AC is blowing cold

Definitely a good idea to have a real AC leak test done with sniffing equipment.

The stain looks like a small pinhole or crack leak in the AC that would grow over time. A pressure test won't reveal much if it's a small hole. Some soap water might, but if it's in an enclosed are it's not possible to see any bubbles.

The leak might also depend on temperature and pressure so it might only occur when the AC is running at the moment.

453747.png

^ I havent had to do work on my Subaru AC system yet, but that looks like a drier tank that houses a dessicant pack? Is that where your leak is coming from?

Yeah, ended up having a shop evacuate the system for $20, and I installed an aftermarket condenser. Of course, now I notice green stuff puking down the front of my ac compressor too, after repeated cleanings. Oh well, least my ac still works.

Definitely a good idea to have a real AC leak test done with sniffing equipment.

The stain looks like a small pinhole or crack leak in the AC that would grow over time. A pressure test won't reveal much if it's a small hole. Some soap water might, but if it's in an enclosed are it's not possible to see any bubbles.

The leak might also depend on temperature and pressure so it might only occur when the AC is running at the moment.

I had seen that bubble test, I think I will give it a go, I didn't want to remove my grill as I had just removed it to wrap it but guess I have no choice but to remove so I can get some access.

I tried removing that plug before, and after removing my condenser, and it would not budge at all. I also was a little nervous about trying to guess the o-ring size since subaru doesn't list a replacement part, so was worth it to me to just spend $60 on a new tyc condenser which is already good to go with everything new.

• 2 months later...

So I was looking for someone to empty my AC system so I can change the condenser but as I was going to the maintenance book it says not to drive without the gas in the AC system or else it may pull a code and then I will also have to change the AC pump?

I assume this is accurate? What have others done?