LegacyGT.com

Which Top Mount

I've had the wagon since new June 28 2004, currently has 294,800 miles.

The Spec B I bought Mar 2011, it has 93,000 miles

Both have custom tunes from tuningalliance@gmail.com they run flawlessly.

[ATTACH]286803[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]286804[/ATTACH]

Looking good, I just ordered the 1.5xtr and grimmspeed TMIC. If your free and up to it I could definitely use some help with the install.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jrae2424, he didn't say it would be choked out up top, he said it wasn't ideal or recommended. He said there will be power left on the table without using a FMIC.

That being said, there are plenty of cars over 400 and even 500hp with the GS tmic, E85 is one hell of a drug! (Charlie Murphy)

If I didn't want sleeper status, I would definitely have a FMIC, have had them on all of my turbo cars. (Go ahead and take a rock or a piece of metal to the FMIC and see how that hurts the wallet!) Been there and done that almost 50 times at this point (no, the wife is NOT happy about this number and never will be :lol:)

The only way to prove anything would be to have logs, I will have a hybrid SD setup as well. We need another legacy owner with similar setup except FMIC that has an IAT before the throttle body to make a comparison.

That being said, the auto trans you have right now might not live to see the difference. Good luck brother!

Never thought that would be a problem with fronts, I assumed they were pretty strong, but yeah, that would suck. I know the feeling though about the wife not being happy with numbers. $9200 for the engine rebuild, that was after spending $8500 on the car plus about $4000 on other mods before that and now another $3300, but whatever, its a hobby, that’s my reasoning. Let’s pray to the old gods and the new that the transmission holds up. But then again it could be a good excuse to get a level 10 trans rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...

WRXUSA, on quick look the injectors are small (1000cc), the intake is small and the TMIC is a limiting factor. The car would have probably made mid 300whp on my dyno.

I finally found a pic and some graphs from the last Time Attack car I built (2012 STi). This was also a "daily driver". It is an amazingly long story. I wont post a mod list as it would take a chapter and some are custom. But you can see some of the work in the pic and the graphs speak for themselves (fuel is ACN 91 pisswater). I suppose this type of set up would have made 700whp on the Surgeline dyno, LOL. :rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

1.thumb.jpg.88139777d5f91856aa2b53ede9c7c104.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.810a77cc03ce217b8ae29534d331bb0c.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.8b4c6d9c0dba28d92f9e488c0ab170cc.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.b4f659e6f1a021a546b61f459c811f88.jpg

Edited by m sprank

The volume of fuel alone required... dealing with the change of state of fuel prior to reaching the injectors as the engine bay temp rises (see vapor lock)... ID2600cc injectors anyone???

Stage4 closed deck, 10.5:1 JE Ultra pistons, Boostline rods with ARP 625+, King bearings, 1/2 ARP head studs, Supertech valves/springs, GSC cams, JDM 12mm oil pump shimmed and de-burred, etc.

Huge amount of work on the oil, coolant and air charge cooling. CSF custom radiator and oil cooler, ETS 5" intercooler core, etc. REAL race car parts, not street car wanting to pretend to be a race car parts.

Huge amount of work on the chassis to decrease the chassis/torq flex.

Ate through stock 6MT gears and synchros.

Car would puke oil from the AOS at boost like it was a tequila sunrise. Cleaning the dyno alone after sessions. You had to check the oil after ever drive.

What do you expect at 34psi on pump gas and 40+ psi on e85? I hated driving the car anywhere but the track. Owner routinely hit 160mph+ on public roads. I refused to sit passenger.

Estimate total cost of build in excess of $35k. Almost no internal part of the car was left unmodified. As stealth mode as possible on the outside. Customer even had us build a "twin" with lower power numbers so that he could confuse anyone about which car he was driving. Crazy Polish owner who owned a "shipping company". He had to travel to Poland fairly often and would leave the cars for long periods. He also liked large caliber AR's. I really liked the guy, but asked no questions. Crazy $h*t in So Cal.

Edited by m sprank

• 3 weeks later...

Took me a while, but I found the original build that led to our 400whp guarantee when purchasing the 1.5XTR package.

Package included:

Catted down pipe (this car used a Cobb with the 2.5" restriction)

CBE (this car used a Cobb with the 2.5" restriction)

KillerB Holy Headers and v-band up pipe

KNS 76mm intake

AVO 3" inlet tube

ID 1300cc injectors

ETS FMIC (3" core)

3 port EBCS (this car used my in house brand)

UEGO wideband sensor and gauge

Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel kit (Cobb was also an option once it was released)

Turbosamrt Kompact BOV

Mishimoto or Koyorad radiatoir

Dom 1.5XTR 3" inlet 10cm hotside

Stock Longblock

We made 450whp with E90 on this exact stock longblock, but I cant find that graph. It was full on kill mode. Car survived the dyno and Bill kept the map and data. He reverted the car to this tune for safety.

Owner performed a 6-4 downshift on the highway drive home from picking up the car, breaking all 4 brand new 275/35/18 Pilot Supersport tires free. I had warned against such shenanigans. He showed up to the Toys for Tots drive with a few hundred in toy donations, LOL.

dyno.thumb.jpg.f9372c6bcab3fe1213754551cfc2103c.jpg

Don't post very often but would like to share my experience with the Dom 1.5XTR 10cm. To not totally derail the thread, I'm also on a GS TMIC.

Car was tuned at Prime Motoring by JR. Dyno plot attached.

Temps were around 40s inside the shop.

Run #1 - E65

Run #2 - Pump 93

To sum things up, I don't regret the cost of the build. Absolutely no buyer's remorse pairing this turbo with the GS TMIC. I spent over the course of a year working on everything myself which included all custom fuel lines, brackets for fuel filter and FPR stands, oil feed lines to the turbo etc. Regardless if the dyno is high reading or not, every time I bring the car out, I come home grinning ear to ear. Is it a ticking time bomb, possibly? The car has 43k original miles and everything done so far is on the stock block and 5MT w/ Moore blast plates.

1449073004_SL_1.5XTRDyno.thumb.jpg.fbc0a6deeabb46b7814966111528f62b.jpg

Picked up the car yesterday. Hill said the tune was conservative (185k miles). Ran out of fuel up top on E85. Told me I should get a dual pump setup and a built block for more power. I asked about the FMIC, he said if I wanted to run 93 it would help, but running E85 it was completely unnecessary. On a straight E85 tune right now due to the Cobb sensor not reading above 67% even with the content at sensor @ 79%. Car was tuned at 20ish on 93 and 23ish on E85.

Yesterday was mid 70's, IAT stayed between 77 and 109 after a few pulls on the street.

20201024_103332_copy_1776x958.thumb.jpg.d23a1cf6bbef9141de9a6356d442d22f.jpg

Heck of build to survive a money shift like that.

Me build em strong. LOL. Factory freak engine. Damn thing never quit. Same as my SpecB. SpecB made 400+ too on the stock long block. Every now and then, Subaru gets one right.