LegacyGT.com

Transmission Mount Replacement

Felt a clunking in my car lately as I’ve been changing gears and checked my trans mount and saw a pretty extreme amount of play (pretty sure it’s the original mount with 205k miles). Got an OEM replacement from BAMWholesale who I highly recommend and got to work today. 6300015929a46d89d5503e8b949bc32e.jpg

0333aaae191d41cf02c9bfafcea6fa06.jpg

Mount came out without much of a fight, the Hayne’s Manual wanted me to completely undo the transmission crossmember and drop everything out but I was able to get away with just undoing the mount itself and two rear bolts then jacking up the transmission and sneaking the mount out at that point. Overall a pretty easy job it only took about 15 minutes including FaceTiming my parents during the job.

baeb1649509d6f28df8a15bb578d9137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to tell you, the STI mount is much better for these cars. Its more of a solid mount. I put one in my wagon back in Aug 2004, first real MOD I did to the car. It made a big difference.

Group N also makes a great product.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry to tell you, the STI mount is much better for these cars. Its more of a solid mount. I put one in my wagon back in Aug 2004, first real MOD I did to the car. It made a big difference.

Group N also makes a great product.

The way I have the car else warrant anything beyond an OEM replacement, I am looking purely for comfort and noise levels as if it came straight from factory abs I’m very happy with the way it feels now. The old mount was absolutely thrashed so this was a nice quick refresher for the car and myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
For the trans mounts, IMO it does add a little NVH to the experience if you go Group N. I also added hard diff bushings and transmission brace bushings (forgetting the proper name for them, but they're pill-shaped) that could have contributed to the NVH. Group N engine mounts absolutely are the way to go though. So much improvement from the power delivery and I noticed zero NVH increase over the 210K mile engine mounts that were on there.

When I did the STI mount back in 2004 it added zero noise, just tightened up the driveline movement.

Recently I installed the stiff pill shaped mounts, again no increase in noise.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I bought a urethane casting kit from Forst(?) polymer. They are based out here in Denver but they distribute from Texas. Cast urethane into the voids as the trans mount insert from whiteline listed to work for my spec B trans mount did not fit. I think the spec b trans mount for the 6spd is very rare part, was about $100 to replace, slightly different than an sti mount if you are looking at oem part numbers and slightly narrower probably due to some slight chassis differences. This was the more affordable option aside from grabbing a group n trans mount, though I do have the group N engine mounts which seem great. The pitch stop mount is probably more where you're going to notice some NVH with something aftermarket/non-oem vibrating to your firewall, or a lightweight flywheel.

Hate to be that guy but, a few years back I bought a STI mount for the Spec B, after install, I noticed zero difference.

It did not make the same noticeable difference as it had in the wagon years ago.

• 1 year later...
I did group N everything, and new bushing all around and Have no problems. But I did not build this car for comfort, even though it is nice to drive. Better than my neck breaking 04 STI. two hour drive and you have to do yoga for 20 mins lol.:lol: