LegacyGT.com

Dragging - CVT or brakes?

Hey guys. First the posting here, so sorry if it's not the right forum section.

I bought my first ever car a few weeks ago: Legacy 2016 2.5i - 45k miles.

It drives fine, besides the slightest break squeak sound. But today I noticed that when my car is rolling at 20-30 Miles/H I feel that it's dragging like a brake is applied slightly.

However, when the speed drops down to 14 Miles/H it feels like brake is released fully and car rolls with ease.

I'm not sure if that's a CVT character or something is wrong with brakes. I tried to Google this issue and I could not find anything.

Any suggestion will help.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hey guys. First the posting here, so sorry if it's not the right forum section.

I bought my first ever car a few weeks ago: Legacy 2016 2.5i - 45k miles.

It drives fine, besides the slightest break squeak sound. But today I noticed that when my car is rolling at 20-30 Miles/H I feel that it's dragging like a brake is applied slightly.

However, when the speed drops down to 14 Miles/H it feels like brake is released fully and car rolls with ease.

I'm not sure if that's a CVT character or something is wrong with brakes. I tried to Google this issue and I could not find anything.

Any suggestion will help.

Wow that's a New one.. Before you start driving do you wait a few seconds after releasing the Emergency Brake..? Maybe it is hanging up.. Listen for it to release.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yes, I can hear clearly that emergency break is fully released.

After all day of researching I found this on Subaru website. But because I'm basically a noob in mechanical terms, I have no idea if that explains everything or not:

"CVT Torque Converter

Due to the linear nature of the CVT, the torque converter is able to partially lock-up at approximately 9 km/h then lock up completely at 24 km/h, and remain locked as the gear ratio changes."

I think I have to find someone else with CVT and test it

I bought my first ever car a few weeks ago: Legacy 2016 2.5i ...

I think what you're feeling is normal engine braking. When the torque converter lockup clutch (TCC) is engaged, the CVT behaves exactly like an old-fashioned manual transmission in that respect. It won't "freewheel" until the TCC disengages, usually somewhere well below 20 mph.

Enjoy your "new" Legacy!

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Buy an IR temperature gun and point it at each rotor/caliper to see if one is higher. The higher temp one could be sticking.

If a caliper is really sticking you’ll be able to feel it by putting your hand up to the rim and feeling the radiant heat.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where