LegacyGT.com

What knock should I be worried about?

samuel082799

So I've been working on a tune for my 2005 OBXT for about a month now, it's got a built long block with cams and 1200cc injectors. Everything I've done so far is good I'm at the point where I have the fueling table done and I'm ready to tune timing.

I have a couple of concerns/questions that I can hopefully get answered. So I can do WOT pulls no knock to get to that though I had to lower the timing quite a bit from oem which could be for a variety of reasons. Its been pretty hot lately and I've been tuning in 80 degree weather because that is as low as its getting in socal. Another reason is California 91 ain't to good. Also I'm running 18psi but my timing is still lower than other tunes i have looked at with the same boost. It may also be intercooler efficiency since my stock intercooler has a decent amount of bent fins but I will be getting a new one soon. Does it sound normal to have to lower timing by 6 to 8 degrees?

My main question is the only places I am seeing knock now is on the freeway cruising in open loop, and transient areas. I logged my commute to and from school and I seen quite a bit of knock sum. Half of the events didn't even trigger a correction so I probably don't need to worry about those because they were at a consistent rpm steady throttle.

The other knock i see is when I let off the throttle and engine break then go back to cruise throttle area quickly it will knock. I think this is because of my tip in enrichment but I could be wrong. I halved my tip in to start because of the bigger injectors, from there I added 5% but that didn't really seem to fix the issue. Before I added 5 percent I couldn't see a lean dip on my wide band, now I can see it go lean for a second then back down. In my log I don't know what to consider lag in the wideband and what is an actual fuel discrepancy. Is this transient knock something to worry about?

I can post log files but they ar big, I use mega log viewer so it is easy to look through a lot of data.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk