LegacyGT.com

Bilstein question

So, if anyone saw my other thread (here), I've been chasing a front end clunk. After replacing everything up there, and determining that everything is good and tight, I had a buddy over who's smarter than I am. He helped me check things over and he thinks it's the front left strut itself. I picked up a mechanic's stethoscope and I'm inclined to agree.

I'm running the Bilstein JDM GT Rev.A, as verified by part numbers on the strut bodies. I got them used here on the board and I think they decided they were done soon after going on my car.

Here's my question - has anyone ever replaced these struts with USDM Bilstein Spec B shocks? The Spec B units are readily available, whereas I'm not sure I can source the JDM shocks. I'd probably just replace the front two, the rears seem fine.

I believe that the JDM upper spring perches and top mounts are the same as the Spec B so there should be no issue there. I'm wondering specifically about A) ride height change with the JDM springs - I don't know if the Spec B lower perch is located higher or lower than the JDM - and B) ride quality change.

Anyway - any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you reached out to...say....the manufacturer. I'm sure customer support at Bilstien may know the answer.

Look them up on the web.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well... as it happens... I did. The people at Bilstein in CA don't have the JDM part numbers anywhere in their catalogs, and the guy was super helpful/knowledgeable and spent close to a half-hour with me trying to find out the info I wanted.

So, I came here, hoping someone might have actually had to replace their JDM Bilstein with USDM SpecB/B6 hardware and would have empirical knowledge of the situation.

I have an email in directly to Bilstein in Germany in hopes they could tell me but I only speak English and I have no idea how quickly to expect a response.

Really hoping someone here might have this knowledge. Any help much appreciated.

Edited by Rittmeister