LegacyGT.com

H6 Outback vs 2.5i Legacy

Hi all

I have been driving an Outback H6 for the last 5 years / 50 000 miles. Great power, great power, great fun.

I have always wanted a Legacy 2.5GT or a Japanse 2.0 Twinscroll, but neither are easy to get and will involvo lots of tax / paperwork.

I am therefore drawn towards the facelift (06-09) 2.0R which has the same power as the US 2.5i, so approx 165BHP. I want an automatic, so I will end up with the 4EAT.

Last your, I bought a rough 2.0R MT which my parents own currently. The handling is superb (specB suspension), but like I said, it feels rougher than the Outback, altough they have equal mileage. Maybe it's just this car.

I never use my Outback for serieus offroading, but when I go fishing, it comes in quite handy and that is what is mostly keeping me from going any further in my quest.

So, anyone went from an Outback to a Legacy? Or from a high power to less (low) power car? Any regrets?

Cheers

T.

I am getting older and I went from sport bikes to wrx, STi, legacy gt, and now an Outback XT. It’s ok to get softer as you get older. That said I wouldn’t own the non turbo 4cyl Subaru. It’s pretty gutless and event he rental I had in CO was undrivable as far as I was concerned where as the XT was just fine.

If your parents own one, I would ask them to borrow it for a weekend. I have gone to a slower 2.5i 4EAT, but I still own a GT and another faster car. I like my 2.5i, it is fine for what I want it to do. (Long trips, towing my boat, carrying larger items/yard waste, winter beater). You are going to find a lot different opinions, but your opinion is the only one that matters.

I am getting older and I went from sport bikes to wrx, STi, legacy gt, and now an Outback XT. It’s ok to get softer as you get older. That said I wouldn’t own the non turbo 4cyl Subaru. It’s pretty gutless and event he rental I had in CO was undrivable as far as I was concerned where as the XT was just fine.

Thanks for the input. I enjoy my Outback and the power it has, but I would like to own a facelift Legacy to thinker with. If possible, I would own a 2.0GT, but no LHD :( .

A 2.0R is much rev happy compared to the 2.5 and can be tuned up to 180-190BHP.

If your parents own one, I would ask them to borrow it for a weekend. I have gone to a slower 2.5i 4EAT, but I still own a GT and another faster car. I like my 2.5i, it is fine for what I want it to do. (Long trips, towing my boat, carrying larger items/yard waste, winter beater). You are going to find a lot different opinions, but your opinion is the only one that matters.

Actually, they own my own car after their XC70 was send to carheaven. (see https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-touring-2-0r-280062.html), but it's less 'plush' compared to the Outback. There is some insulation from the hood missing and I have a feeling the Outback is better insulated against road-noise.

Still, the 5 speed with HI/LO gearing (same as forester) is very agricultural and doesn't help with plushness ;).

It's also a pre-facelift, so could be completely different.

And I have an RX8, so I have the M/T - fast(-ish) car when I have an itch.

I'll see if I can testdrive one from a dealer...

Edited by *thomas*