LegacyGT.com

Help! Turbo Installation: How to line up the bottom oil drain line?? (2005 LGT)

Hi All,

Seems to be a common issue, but I am currently installing the VF46 turbo on my 2005 Subaru LGT, and I am having a very difficult time lining up the oil drain line on the bottom of the turbo. Obviously this is complicated by having to also line up the turbo air intake hose (as the soft rubber is prone to tearing), but it seems like such a bad design to have to install this part totally blind. I thought it was in, put the car back together, only to have oil pour out when I started. Back to the drawing board, and a lot of rework, with no guarantees it will be any easier!

Does anyone have any tips for how to improve this step? I am considering removing the entire turbo air inlet line so that I can look through the hole and see the oil line actually line up with the drain...this seems extreme, but I don't know what else to do!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

T

This is why I have posted many times that I bolt the turbo on the up pipe.

[ATTACH]286442[/ATTACH]

It's so much easier to do this.

Hi - thanks for responding. I am confused, how does bolting the turbo on the up pipe help you drop in the turbo blind and connect the oil hose?

Also, do you have the drain spout oriented correctly? It's easy to get backwards and then it just won't line up.

Hi, thanks for your response. What do you mean by "drain spout"? Are you referring to the oil outlet pipe, or the oil outlet hose? The outlet pipe came installed on my new turbo, and I re-used the oil outlet hose from the old turbo on the new install.

Thanks!

T

Hi, thanks for your response. What do you mean by "drain spout"? Are you referring to the oil outlet pipe, or the oil outlet hose? The outlet pipe came installed on my new turbo, and I re-used the oil outlet hose from the old turbo on the new install.

Thanks!

T

Sorry, I was referring to the oil outlet pipe; I believe it should be angled toward the front of the car.

How old is that hose? If it's more than a couple years, I would recommend replacing that oil drain hose, this is one of the more frustrating things to do with our engines and not something you want to have to do again.

It's hard to get it to line up, recommend a little silicon or similar on the top of the hose and the outlet pipe to help them slide together cleanly. It was my 3-4th try before I got it last time I installed a turbo.

I moved the inlet out slightly and focused on getting it in the oil drain hose first; then reinstalled the turbo air inlet.

Sorry, I was referring to the oil outlet pipe; I believe it should be angled toward the front of the car.

How old is that hose? If it's more than a couple years, I would recommend replacing that oil drain hose, this is one of the more frustrating things to do with our engines and not something you want to have to do again.

It's hard to get it to line up, recommend a little silicon or similar on the top of the hose and the outlet pipe to help them slide together cleanly. It was my 3-4th try before I got it last time I installed a turbo.

I moved the inlet out slightly and focused on getting it in the oil drain hose first; then reinstalled the turbo air inlet.

Thanks - this makes more sense. Definitely tricky. The hardest part is that once the turbo is close to going in, you can't see it (just feel it), so you don't know it's lined up perfectly and not just kinked.

I tried pulling the air inlet back, but it was hard to get enough clearance to not tear the rubber. I am debating fully removing more of the air inlet, which would not only avoid any tear to the rubber (as you could install the inlet back on once the turbo is set), but also you can see through the hole created by the inlet removal to confirm the oil hose connection is solid. Seems like this removal is non-trivial, but saves me putting the whole thing back together just to discover the turbo is free draining oil from my missed connection!

Any thoughts? Not worth the effort?

Thanks - this makes more sense. Definitely tricky. The hardest part is that once the turbo is close to going in, you can't see it (just feel it), so you don't know it's lined up perfectly and not just kinked.

I tried pulling the air inlet back, but it was hard to get enough clearance to not tear the rubber. I am debating fully removing more of the air inlet, which would not only avoid any tear to the rubber (as you could install the inlet back on once the turbo is set), but also you can see through the hole created by the inlet removal to confirm the oil hose connection is solid. Seems like this removal is non-trivial, but saves me putting the whole thing back together just to discover the turbo is free draining oil from my missed connection!

Any thoughts? Not worth the effort?

Assuming you have the stock inlet still? If it's still original, watch closely they can tear easily. I would remove the bolt in the from of the inlet so you could pull it back just a little bit (if you haven't already). I ended up putting the front up on jack stands and aligned the outlet pipe and hose from underneath because I couldn't see/reach well from above. I had to alternate between playing with it from above and below to get it to seat properly. Good bit of wiggling and yelling at it.

Hi - thanks for responding. I am confused, how does bolting the turbo on the up pipe help you drop in the turbo blind and connect the oil hose?

The turbo is hanging up on the studs as you try to line up the inlet and oil return at the same time. without the studs I found it easy to line up the oil return then slide the turbo around on the up pipe to line up the inlet along with the return hose if needed.

The bolts are the same one that bolt the turbo up pipe support to the block, common bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here