LegacyGT.com

Possible Power steering problem

I recently purchased a 08 spec b which already had the 15 steering rack installed. What I first noticed is the heavy steering, and kind of mushy feel which didn't feel normal to me but I assumed it was due to the upgraded steering rack.

Well last week I had a look under the hood and noticed that the power steering pump is covered in what I assume is power steering fluid. What should I do? I've googled and some are saying to make sure the O rings and hoses are sealing properly before I go replacing the pump. Does the above symptoms sound like a bad pump and I should just replace it, if so what pump should I instead to match the steering rack?

In your shoes, I'd replace the $2 o-ring first and go from there. Wouldn't hurt to flush the ps system with some oem subaru atf hp fluid as well for like $7/qt. I disconnect the hose going into the reservoir, put it in a cup or something, and make sure the reservoir stays filled. Total capacity on my stock legacy is like .8qt's I think. I tried two ac delco professional reman pumps, I think they were like $160 on rockauto, can't remember if that was before or after core charge? Both leaked though, said f this, and bought a new oem pump from a dealer on ebay for $320, no leaks. Not sure what pump to go with in your situation, but wanted to throw my thoughts out anyway.

My trusted mechanic tells me that Valvoline AFT or PS fluid is what he pretty much uses in everything. He has even given me some to use in my cars.

Along with the o-ring is the U shaped crush washer on the side line.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here