LegacyGT.com

Driving in the snow

So it has finally snowed here in Montreal. Snow tires go on Wed, but have been having some fun with the car.

1. Was suprised how easy it is to kick out the rear. Is this due to the RE's?

So once I have my rear hanging, what is the best way to get it back?

Stay on the gas .............?

2. When kicking out the rear, sometimes get a "burnt" smell. What is that due to?

Don't consider that the same as the burnt clutch, I dropped the clutch in the dry more than a few times and have not noticed the smell at that time that others are talking about.

Thanks

i haven't gotten to toss my car around in the snow yet - but i'm sure that snow tires will make it significantly more difficult to push out the rear end.

of course, the easiest way to avoid it is to just be easier on the gas. (what fun is that?)

as far as the burning smell - Only two other things that I can think of --- first would be the Catalytic converter (sulfur smell) - but my guess would be that you were burning up your differential. (never done it personally, but i've read on here that doing burnouts in the snow is hell on the center diff... so i'm assuming if you heat it up enough it eventually begin to smell)

I was playing around in a hospital parking lot last year at like 2am. Wasn't being crazy, just learning how the car reacted to sliding. Some Dr guy comes over in his minivan and almost hits me head on. Then gets out and tries to tell me I'm gonna hurt someone. So I told him I was learning how my new car handles in the snow and how to get out of a skid. He repeated that I was going to hurt someone. To which I replied, "I could learn how to control or avoid a skid here in an empty parking lot, or I could leave and loose control and skid into your car or house."

He turned around and left me alone.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Just got back from driving through a blizzard. I have snows (Hankook Ice Bear 300's) and can say that these tires took away a LOT of the fun potential because they hang on TOO well. I was able to break the a$$ loose but only after really getting on the gas and revving the car to high rpms (like 4000+).

I get the same burning smell, most likely its from the combination of clutch (if you are riding it), spinning of the tires, and the differentials getting hot. I try to only do it for a few minutes at a time. My 97 Outback had the same smell and I used to beat this PISS out of it in snow...It ran like a top for 147,000 miles until the head gasket went.

Here are some pics of what I just drove through. This car with snows is a MONSTER! hehe...TOO much fun to have a car like this that can blow by SUV's in the snow, handle WAY better than most cars, and absolutely TORCH an 11,000ft climb over a mountain pass during a blizzard. :icon_tong

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/66/dscf01223kt.th.jpg http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1640/dscf01211yt.th.jpg http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9992/dscf01111vs.th.jpg

Well, have not had the chance to test in an empty lot and snows will finally go on Wednesday. Got Dunlop Graspic 2. Do not have a real need for anything to aggresive and have a bad habit of wearing out tires fast. These should last 2 winters.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oh yeah, did break loose the rear a few times and let of the gas. Talk about snap back. Car actually snapped past and was sliding the other way. Had lots of room. 4 lane road. (Was alone).

Will be testing the snows in a lot the next snow fall. Hope it comes soon!!!!

I have BF-Goodrich Traction T/A's fairly new, and got our first good snow up here in Michigan this holiday weekend.

Compared to the RE's they seemed grippier in cornering and straightline, on ice, or sliding due to agressive breaking; all the same. (Ice is ice always, even with AWD) Had to park on the side of the road at a family friends house as is customary, a spot usually reserved for those with 4x4 as it can be tricky to get in and out of with snow, but the Leggy swooped in, and pulled out without even flinching.

As for kick-out, yup, I usually step her out a few times just for grins.. it's so not like a RWD, the second you take your foot off the gas, she comes right back and off you go.

Love my AWD in snow!! LOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of chopping the throttle once you get the rear end out, try feathering it (i.e. letting off, but maintaining a slight pressure on the accelerator, slightly above idle). This should allow the rear end to ease back into position instead of snapping back and ending up sliding in the opposite direction.

So it has finally snowed here in Montreal. Snow tires go on Wed, but have been having some fun with the car.

1. Was suprised how easy it is to kick out the rear. Is this due to the RE's?

So once I have my rear hanging, what is the best way to get it back?

Stay on the gas .............?

Thanks

turn into the slide

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

What kind of snow brush/scraper/removal tool does everyone use for their car? I noticed on my previouse car ('93 Ford Probe GT) that the brush's bristles left small scratches in the paint's clear coat. Seeing as though my LGT is brand new I'd prefer not to scratch it the first winter i have it. Any suggestions?

We had some snow on Thanksgiving day here in Poughkeepsie, but the freakin dealer still has my car. I called them today and they said that the ECU was shipped on Friday from Cali and they hope to have it by tomorrow. IT's already been two weekds goddamn it....I want my car back :icon_evil

Anyway, atleast my 7 yr old son got to enjoy the first snow fall, it was the first time he got to ride his quad in the snow, we just got it for him in June for his b-day. He had a blast.

when you slide its best not to imediately let off because as you guys were saying it snaps back, and usually you start to fish tail. try getting the rear end to break loose and just barely let off so the engine maintains constant rpms. one thing subaru did a good job of is the power steering, you should be able to let the wheel spin the other way and just hold it in the direction you want to go. once it starts to come back give er more gas and keep going.

it takes a little time to learn, but once you get it down it is awesome. i think people are a bit suprised to see me sliding my car sideways in town. i got pulled over in the school parking lot once, but there wasnt any snow when i was doing it.

once you get good try keeping it sideways(just give it more throttle and dont correct the wheel as much). its alot of fun.

What kind of snow brush/scraper/removal tool does everyone use for their car?

Yeah, me too.. so I avoid brushing/scraping on any painted surface - just on glass. Of course, I also park in a garage, so that helps to a degree.

What kind of snow brush/scraper/removal tool does everyone use for their car? ?

You know i was thinking about that today. I have always used a foam shovel. like the one you use to pull the snow off your roof.

I would like to use something different to prevent scratches this year. I am gonna have to go to pep boys and see what they got.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

when the snow/ice gets to be too much, have any of you used chains/cables? giving away my ignorance, would you put them on the front or rear?

you shouldn't really ever need chains so long as you have decent snow tires. If for some reason you decide to use chains, they go on all 4 wheels.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ya i'm thinking the large foam squeegee type looking tool would work pretty well without scrathing up the paint. I'll have to look around...Bulldogg, lemme know what you find.

Also, is it bad if there is snow clogging the hoodscoop?

unplug the hoodscoop

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I have conti winter contacts (don't grip very well on snow) and the rear kicked out on several occasions. I've found that giving it throttle while correcting will do the job though you have to be confident in this manoeuvre. If you let off the gas suddenly or use the breaks then it'll be worse. If you don't like the rear kicking out then I suggest an aggressive winter tire tread something like Blizzak or Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2.

IMO, the actual real advantage we have in the winter/snow covered pavement is straight line grip.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Guest *Jedimaster*
After it snows go to an empty parking lot.

It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. :)

You guys that don't get snow don't know what your missing.

Q F T

Archived