LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket VF40 Turbo Questions

Looking at installing a new aftermarket VF40 turbo from JM Turbo Technology. This came recommended from a local Subaru shop in Toronto, Canada. A couple of quick questions:

- Is anyone familiar with this product? Any advice?

- There is a turbo water line kit available as an add-on. Would you recommend I get this? Not familiar with a water line on the OEM unit...

- Any tips for after market turbo installations or things to watch out for?

Thanks!

T

It needs to be water cooled.

You can see pictures of the turbo set up in my click here link in my sig.

you should have a new oil return hose too.

Spray the old bolts with PB Blaster, give it time to work in. Put anti-seize compound and all thread going beck together.

Leave the turbo loose on the up pipe until you have the tmic connected to the TB and turbo outlet and bolts started for the tmic.

DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.9c41581bd169d1e741666981667526b8.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It needs to be water cooled.

You can see pictures of the turbo set up in my click here link in my sig.

you should have a new oil return hose too.

Spray the old bolts with PB Blaster, give it time to work in. Put anti-seize compound and all thread going beck together.

Leave the turbo loose on the up pipe until you have the tmic connected to the TB and turbo outlet and bolts started for the tmic.

[ATTACH]286013[/ATTACH]

Thank you so much! I realize I was confused by the water pipe terminology - these are of course the coolant lines!

My guess is that the water pipes are sold separately as the OEM ones can often be reused. That said, from experience, would you suggest I order these new parts in addition to the new turbo? I hate wasting money, but if these parts are likely worn/rusted/damaged, doesn't hurt to buy new!

First time replacing the turbo, so I've got lots to learn...

answered your PM.

Remember the parts are 16 years old... It's cheap insurance to pay the $26.00 for new parts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here