LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on the Nav System..

B4_Maniac

Usualy I could care less about this feature becuase it doens't add or take away from the driveing experience of the vehical. Its just a gadget that would decrease the value of your car even further with age when better nav systems hit the market. But, I spent some time on the Japanese site translateing the Nav system page, and I figured where is the point of being able to read Japanese and not being able to share my knowledge with the forum. Basicly the Nav system incorporates a lot more services and features then just navigation. We all know that the climate controls are routed through it. But it aslo has services like Subaru G Book. Now this system incorporates all the featurs of a PDA into your Nav system. You can load adresses, phone numbers and save directions to favorite locations into the system. You can also sit at your computer and look up directions to a location and send them to the car so it would be loaded when you are ready to go. If the same Japanese unit was to be released here in the U.S the would either have to custom make a new unit that doesn't incorporate all the additional services or they would have to bring the Japanese one here and make the inviestment to implement the same level of service. I can make a argument for both cases based on the premise that Subaru is trying to go up scale. This would add to that image and may get a few more drivers to look at their cars. But, U.S navigation systems have not been able to reach the level of European or Japanese systems based on the pure size of America. America is huge. So, it is my humble opinion it would be cheaper for SOA to just make a USDM nav unit with a DVD base and release that for their cars here, and not mimic the Japanese one. Even though it would be cool to have the one they have there. Questions, coments thoughts? [url]http://subaru.g-book.com/pc/whats_G-BOOK/contents/default.asp[/url] B4

[quote name='B4_Maniac']So, it is my humble opinion it would be cheaper for SOA to just make a USDM nav unit with a DVD base and release that for their cars here, and not mimic the Japanese one. Even though it would be cool to have the one they have there.[/quote] Agreed. Similar functionality would be nice but not needed or used by most IMO. I don't even really want NAV... I would just like touchscreen capability to display various sensor data from the engine (boost, exhaust temp... that kind of stuff) in virtual gauges without messing up the classiness of the interior with a bunch of gauges and other hardware that doesn't match.

Nav systems are nice, particularly for directionally-impaired people such as I. That extra stuff I could do without. But I have to admit, sitting in my mothers Jaguar, on the southeast side of Chicago, and being able to punch in my home address in Highland Park and having the car, after about ten seconds, show me the way, is pretty cool. Not $3000 cool, but pretty cool nonetheless. Mind you, I don't usually go places where I haven't already figured out where I'm going, and nav systems aren't infallible, but they can be awfully nice. Kevin

I'm more interested in a portable system. The problem with an integrated system is that it stays in the car when you go traveling. Doesn't help if you are in florida, and your car with its nav system is in the airport parking lot in california. Espescially since you are more likely to need it when you are away from home. I like the idea of the garmin Ique 3600, but reports of implementation issues have kept me from buying one. But at $500, it is much cheaper than an integrated unit.

[quote name='kanoswrx']It would be cool to have the option, but their is no way I would pay 3000-4000 dollars for a nav system, when I can put together one myself for less then 1000.[/quote] Been there done that...no regrets but one suggestion for future systems...REAL TIME TRAFFIC UPDATES. I loved my NAV when I had it but it would piss me off cuz I could get stuck in traffic. 3k is not that bad for NAV system. But like I said in the beguining of the thread... they don't enhance your driveing experience and they will get older faster than your car. So, just keep that in mind.

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='kanoswrx']It would be cool to have the option, but their is no way I would pay 3000-4000 dollars for a nav system, when I can put together one myself for less then 1000.[/quote] Been there done that...no regrets but one suggestion for future systems...REAL TIME TRAFFIC UPDATES. ... [/quote] The new RL will have that for major metro areas.

[quote name='Ridgeracer']Have you guys checked out the Pioneer AVIC-N1 system..? 2K with alot of funtional features.[/quote] Yeah it's a pretty cool unit, but the problem is still finding a place to put it.. and if you're into sound quality, the 2V pre-outs will leave a person wanting more..

I've been looking forward to having such a unit, however after doing some research I found out that: a) it's useful in urban areas to find a path from a street A to a street B which is not worth $3-$4k as I can use a stupid paper map to find a direction, and b) most of these units in different cars cover the most popular countries / geographic areas only. As soon as you go to into the middle of "nowhere" (where a GPS would be really handy), you are out of the map area and the unit is useless. I'm thinking of getting a small portable unit and stick it onto the dashboard (such as Garmin's StreetPilot which is cheaper and will do the job [url]http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2660/[/url]).

[quote name='kenzo'][quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='kanoswrx']It would be cool to have the option, but their is no way I would pay 3000-4000 dollars for a nav system, when I can put together one myself for less then 1000.[/quote] Been there done that...no regrets but one suggestion for future systems...REAL TIME TRAFFIC UPDATES. ... [/quote] The new RL will have that for major metro areas.[/quote] I believe it will work in conjunction with XM's weather and traffice updates. -Nick

klaus, do not pay attention to the prices on the pioneer site. this unit can be had for 14-1500 on ebay (brand new buyitnow). and i do not see how its worthless in the middle of nowhere, they still contain the roads and whatnot, and pinpoints your location on general map, on top of that it uses smartdots (i'm sure most of u know what those are). what more would you want?

I'd consider the avic-n1 if I could get it without the built in screen, and use the subaru factory screen.. I don't believe that's possible, so, What aftermarket nav units can use a 3rd party screen? Also do any of them have user-configurable guages, like boost? It doesn't seem the avic-n1 has that.

i doubt u will find a 3rd party electronics company like pioneer selling something that can monitor your car in such detail. go do some research and see if there are any ways to hardwire 3rd party navi to the car's mechanics, or many a seperate module that can give the navi that ability?

[quote name='mmanus88']i doubt u will find a 3rd party electronics company like pioneer selling something that can monitor your car in such detail. go do some research and see if there are any ways to hardwire 3rd party navi to the car's mechanics, or many a seperate module that can give the navi that ability?[/quote] I like the stuff at [url]http://www.ecutek.com/products/incardash/[/url] I wonder if the ecutek system can be linked to the Pioneer display unit?

Archived