LegacyGT.com

Whining noise from engine

About a week ago I started noticing a high pitched whining/whistling/sucking noise coming from the engine. It only happens on acceleration while in gear so I am worried that it maybe the turbo. I have linked a video and the sound in question is right around the two second mark. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I cant' really hear it.

The Turbo will be more of a whistle sound. the 5mt's are know to be loud from gear whine.

The PS pump is more of a deeper whine.

I hear all three everyday. Well my turbo is more of its normal sound of spooling, like when your on the highway next to a semi at the bottom of a hill. As he rolls into the throttle, you'll hear his turbo spool.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry I cant' really hear it.

The Turbo will be more of a whistle sound. the 5mt's are know to be loud from gear whine.

The PS pump is more of a deeper whine.

I hear all three everyday. Well my turbo is more of its normal sound of spooling, like when your on the highway next to a semi at the bottom of a hill. As he rolls into the throttle, you'll hear his turbo spool.

It's definitely more of a whistling. I'll try to get a better recording to post

When my vf40 went, it may a loud high pitched, whistling sound when it began to spool. It stopped driving it.

Dropped the down pipe and found lots of play in the turbo shaft.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

instant.

A 1000 miles before I had the P0011/P0021 CEL, the death code for the Turbo. Trusted mechanic removed the banjo filter from the turbo oil inlet and changed the oil. I drove it for another 1000 miles with the whine, one day I left the driveway going to work, 1/2 mile later, when shifting into 2nd gear, I heard the whine change to a whistle.

I turned around, babied it back to the home and shut it off. Ordered the VF52 later that morning.

I would do your best to keep it out of boost.

You need to pull the downpipe and check for shaft play if your pretty sure its the turbo.

I gather the car has a 5eat and not a 5mt transmission ?

So don't confuse the 5mt noise for the turbo.

These things are known to make transmission noise like a 1940's truck. Mine is loud, but again its a deeper whine, not high pitched

So don't confuse the 5mt noise for the turbo.

These things are known to make transmission noise like a 1940's truck. Mine is loud, but again its a deeper whine, not high pitched

I'm pretty sure that this is not the transmission as it is very high pitched.

Sounds a lot like the turbo spooling whistle from the speakers on my phone. My 16g sounds like that. It’s most noticeable driving around town. Iirc my vf40 sounded like that too. I always attributed the extra sound to the AEM panel filter or Cobb downpipe.

Can you have a friend drive the car down the road and you listen for it? These cars make all sorts of whining sounds, especially if you have harder bushings for the trans and diff. I get tons of gear whine if I go off-throttle in second.

Subaru’s are noisy cars in general. I didn’t notice it with my sti or last outback since both had exhausts, but my current outback has a stock catback and the trans is noisy, the rear end is noisy and my lifetime replacement non oem wheel bearings I’m constantly trading in on warranty are noisy lol

Today on the way to my son's house, had the windows down and while accelerating over a cement bridge, in top end of 2nd gear full boost. Was surprised how loud the turbo and tranny are. It was pretty loud. The exhaust is fairly quiet on the wagon.

Well both my cars have the intake silencer removed from under the air filter box, but the wagon's vf52 makes much more noise then the Spec's vf46.

Invidia catted DP, stock midpipe off the 09 Spec B, magnaflow knock off mufflers from a local exhaust shop and Dynamax tips. The mufflers were installed back in 2013. It was louder back then when the exhaust shop custom made a Y pipe back to those mufflers. Last Fall had them fit the mufflers to the stock midpipe.

It really is quiet inside.

Can you have a friend drive the car down the road and you listen for it? These cars make all sorts of whining sounds, especially if you have harder bushings for the trans and diff. I get tons of gear whine if I go off-throttle in second.

That is a great idea!

You need to pull the downpipe and check for shaft play if your pretty sure its the turbo.

Do I have to remove the down pipe or can I just unbolt and move out of the way?

You need to remove the down pipe in order to reach the turbo shaft.

If you still have the have the stock DP on the car, it will be a PITA to remove. The first time.

I see where you live. ESP up in Sterling MA is a great place and knows these cars well.

My wagon was on there dyno and they did work on my car back in 2011.

We haven't asked you yet if this is the OEM turbo ?

You need to remove the down pipe in order to reach the turbo shaft.

If you still have the have the stock DP on the car, it will be a PITA to remove. The first time.

I see where you live. ESP up in Sterling MA is a great place and knows these cars well.

My wagon was on there dyno and they did work on my car back in 2011.

We haven't asked you yet if this is the OEM turbo ?

Man that sucks!

Yes, stock turbo and down pipe

Its hard to advise you not to drop the DP without being there to hear the sound.

these vf40's are know to have shaft bearing issues. BUT normally you'll get the P0011/P0021 CEL. Like most of have over the 16 years I've been on here.

How many miles on the car ?

From what I recall you need to remove the ;

tmic,

heatshield over the turbo

disconnect the rear O2 sensor at the connector

DP bracket from the tranny

two, bolts, nuts and springs from the midpipe

the five bolts and nuts at the DP to turbo.

PB Blaster will become your best friend.

The first time is the hardest, There are a couple of bolts on the OEM DP that aftermarkets don't have.

Be careful with the boot on the throttle body end of the tmic, it can be a PITA to line back up. your best bet is to leave it on the TB. Don't remove it and forget the correct clocking to put it back on.