LegacyGT.com

Dash gauge overlay or bulb change

Has anyone ordered and installed this ebay seller gauge overlay?

They state they can do any design and match our gauge cluster and warning lights by sending in a picture of our current gauge. Pictures of the sti and prodrive ones look nice.

https://ebay.us/nY67L3

I want to replicate the black and red gauge look and feel of the 04-05 sti or even the 05-09 lgt sweeping gauge. The oem gt gauge cluster seems white/blueish at night and it could use the red numbers/lettering over the black background.

The oem gauge cluster is already black, so perhaps putting in red led bulbs for the backlighting may be a cheaper and alternate way to get the look im searching for.

Has anyone ordered and installed this ebay seller gauge overlay?

They state they can do any design and match our gauge cluster and warning lights by sending in a picture of our current gauge. Pictures of the sti and prodrive ones look nice.

https://ebay.us/nY67L3

I want to replicate the black and red gauge look and feel of the 04-05 sti or even the 05-09 lgt sweeping gauge. The oem gt gauge cluster seems white/blueish at night and it could use the red numbers/lettering over the black background.

The oem gauge cluster is already black, so perhaps putting in red led bulbs for the backlighting may be a cheaper and alternate way to get the look im searching for.

The LEDs on our gauges are soldered directly to the board, they arent serviceable. Otherwise there has been a few people install a gauge cluster overlay on the FB group and here. I cant recall their names offhand.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

there are a bunch of us in the FB group that have overlays. these eBay ones look amazing, but im concerned about them being a single piece. the jdm ones we have are multiple pieces. background, tach, speedo, fuel, and mpg.

the benefit of multiple pieces is that the chrome rings and needles don't need to be removed to install the overlays. I took my chrome rings off and ended up breaking the little pegs that hold them to the gauges. took some super glue to reattach. you can see the array of small holes where those pegs go in the eBay photos.

the jdm ones are out of production. a random pops up in the Yahoo auctions every now and then. they are also kph, so the tach and speedo don't line up.

I've got a spare gauge cluster lying around so maybe I'll order an overlay to experiment with. nice find, btw!!

here's a photo of just the background from the jdm set.

edit - just noticed the eBay sets are kph and come from Russia. damn.

02daf10696f6344eabdd3478e097e5cf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by Bootyologist

The ebay seller states that they can do MPH instead of kilometers,...

Just send model year or description and a picture of what gauge you got now and warning lights ( i took pictures with key turned to acc) and type of measurement you want. That way you can choose one of their designs or make up your own and still have all the warning lights etc.

Good to know about the plastic trim surround, and difficulty removing and putting back on, but maybe i can do without it?

Your idea of having a spare or second used gauge around to do the swap and then getting subaru to match odometer maybe an idea,...

Also, i know the jdm overlays are what people used, but they are no longer available, but di the carbin fiber overlay cover up or hide all the warning lights or were they transparent.

Lastly which FB group are you referring to? I want to join, but not sure which Legacy group to join...

Edited by abakja1

Also, i think i would be happy with just the carbon fiber overlay without needing to change to dials.

Does this require to remove the trim rings?

Guess it doesnt matter though as no one sells the carbon fiber overlay anyways,...

• 3 months later...

I had gauge overlays on my other car when I first got it. They had to be lined up *perfectly* to work and that was damned near impossible. They sucked very much and made the cluster very hard to read at night. And, since they were *reflective silver,* impossible to use during the day. I took those out very quickly.

And fixed the misaligned gauge needles while I was at it. The PO was a bit of a bozo when it came to modifications...

Either way, I wouldn’t recommend putting overlays on your gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk