LegacyGT.com

My ex 96 Legacy

After I reluctantly sold off my trusty and ultra-reliable old Legacy, I had never expected to post on here again, but I was recently contacted by the new owner of it, asking me if I wouldn't mind doing a bit of work on it. He told me that he wanted to keep using it, as it just kept on going, despite having over 270.000ks on the clock.

He told me that it was leaking from the water pump, and the oil pump. I said ok I'll have a look at it. It was a bit of a mess. As I had worked on it a lot over the years, I had no problem doing what was needed.

I fitted a new timing belt and pulleys. A new water pump, despite the old one still looking and working ok. The tin gasket on the other hand looked a bit sad. I suspect all that was needed there was just a tightening of the bolts to stop the leak, but I just replaced it all anyway.

Pulled the oil pump off and replaced the 0-ring, and re-tightened using some locktite the back screws, of which three were loose, with one being at least 4mm undone. Reinstalled the pump with a new Subaru crank seal fitted, as some after market cheap seals just not doing the job, as their dimensions were just not up to grade. Hence oil continuing to seep out after being fitted.

Job all done, and the car continuing on as an everyday driver.

I didn't charge him anything for the work, just the parts. He was more than happy, and I quite enjoyed doing it.

The other night there was a knock on the door. Who's that I wonder. I open the door and before I could even say hello, I have two bottles of Whiskey thrust into my hands, from a very happy owner, and then he was off.

I just thought I would share my current experiences from my old Subaru, that continues to be a part of my life for god knows how many years?

I wonder just how long this car will continue to go on for. Even after 270.000ks it stills burns no oil. That's amazing in itself.

Ivan

Mine has 305000 miles so about 450000k and is still great. Keep the cooling system solid and change the oil/filter on time and it should keep going for a long time.

Yes the 2.2L is a great engine. The only thing that I could fault it on is it's high fuel use compared to today's fuel misers. Our Mazda 3 gets at least 700ks per tank, whereas the Subaru around 450ks depending on how you drive.

• 1 month later...
I too miss my old 96 Sedan with a 2.2. I parted ways at 375,000 miles after it the 4EAT lost reverse. If the rear wheel arches weren't starting to rust I might still have it. You are correct about it being a pig on gas. I have a 3.0 Outback and I'm getting better MPGs than the 2.2. If the 2.2 had any balls that wouldn't be so bad but it is anemic after 45MPH.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles