LegacyGT.com

Cam Swap '97 into '95 2.2L

I had a cam go bad so I found heads from a 2.2L 1997 EJ22 and will put them into a '95 2.22L. I was looking at the manual and noticed a lobe height difference. The '97 having taller intake lobes and shorter exhaust lobes.

Using the actual intake lobe height of the '97 cam subtracting it from the '95 specs and it is .0093 inches taller (~business card thickness).

The exhaust will be .0257 inches (~2/3 of a millimeter).

I think the intake will not make a difference because fuel volume is regulated. However the exhaust valve will not open as far, thus a shorter time for exhaust to escape.

Could this cause me problems????

Thanks,

dmend

I'm not an engine builder, but I expect that as long as the lobe angles are the same I would expect the ECU to be able to tune around those differences.

The only other thing I can think of to watch out for is that the more open intake valves might make your 95 an interference motor as far as assembly and timing belt breakage.

I think as long as you reset your valve lash it'll be fine, but this isn't my area of expertise.

Iirc the 95 and 97 might have the same ecu plugs, so if you wanted to you could just swap the ecus out and the engine won't know the difference.

Just make sure you get your lash adjusted with new shims.