LegacyGT.com

Well..now I know..

Well, now I know for sure that the Legacy's engined is detuned from the WRX STI version.. My friend has a STI and we were going to our local club meet.. lots of long straight aways there and I was folowing.. I just couldn't keep pace in my LEGGY GT.. He would pull two or three car lengths ahead with ease.. I would almost have to floor it to keep reasonable pace. Very impressive.

[quote name='mccorry']Not new news.... the STI is lighter with 50 more hp... (at least)[/quote] It has nothing to do with new news. It's a real world observations. How many of you have tried to the same thing? Anyway, its just intresting to see the real world diffrence 50 less HP/ and torque makes.

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='mccorry']Not new news.... the STI is lighter with 50 more hp... (at least)[/quote] It has nothing to do with new news. It's a real world observations. How many of you have tried to the same thing? Anyway, its just intresting to see the real world diffrence 50 less HP/ and torque makes.[/quote] A good comparison for a before and after ECU upgrade maybe?

You need to remember they are two different cars, geared toward to different markets. The GT weights more by almost 200lbs. Has one less gear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='Max Capacity']You need to remember they are two different cars, geared toward to different markets. The GT weights more by almost 200lbs. Has one less gear.[/quote] That is nothing that has been forgotten here. You will not get to 6th gear in normal traffic nor will you use to quickly excelorate. So that not realy relovent. Plus, no one said that the STI wouldn't be faster...its just intresting to see for yourself when you are driving behind one that you can't catch it. So it realy makes you wonder with a nicely tuned ECU map what kind of potential could be realesed from the GT's de-tuned STI engine.

It's not that the 6spd has a 6th gear for cruising; it's that it results in the first 5 gears being a lot more agressive than they could be in a 5spd car. On the 3000GT/Stealth turbo, the 6spd is worth about 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile on otherwise identically-prepared cars. This is *especially* true when the stock turbo(s) can't hold boost to redline. The 6spd means you stay in the heart of the boost longer, meaning it's faster.

This shouldn't be a surprise, as the STi's weight is almost identical to the GT sedan (3263 vs 3300), but with shorter gearing and 50 more hp/tq, not to mention more boost from a larger turbo, the STi's pace advantage falls, as B4 says, squarely in the "Duh" category. It will take more than a reflash to get a GT to STi pace. Think ECU work to get a psi or two, plus more air from a larger turbo, and be prepared to have more lag. But the GT will be faster, and done properly, that speed won't be cheap. The STi will outhandle the GT also, in case you were wondering. A shorter car generally has an advantage in that regard, and the STi's wheelbase is just over 5" shorter than the GT's. The GT has an infinitesimally wider track, however. In case anyone was wondering, the Legacy GT is a wonderful GT, which is indeed different from a sports car. Think Ferrari 456GT vs Enzo. The Enzo driver will be able to walk the 456GT driver like a schnauzer. But driving from Maranello to Milan, the 456GT driver will be more comfortable and refreshed at the end of the trip. Now, you can make a GT as fast as an STi, but the latter car's more aggressive gearing will always give it an advantage. The 3000GT example cited above is an excellent one. The GT is geared for touring, hence it's "grand touring" moniker, while the STi is geared for all-out performance. Further, the STi's speed comes with a price. There's a bit more turbo lag, and the car just isn't as nice as a Legacy GT. You can make a GT fast a lot easier than you can make an STi nice. So, pick your poison. Calm, comfy speed or a car that is rawer, but faster. Many of the performance gaps can be addressed in the aftermarket, but assuming drivers of equal caliber, a GT, even modded to 300 hp/tq, in most situations will not be able to keep up with an STi. That's why they're different cars for different purposes. I wouldn't want to drive an STi from Chicago to Colorado, but I wouldn't want to rallycross a GT. Horses for courses. Kevin

[quote name='SUBE555']Man I love having Kevin back! :mrgreen: Couldn't have said it better myself. Will be fun to play around with my buddy in his STi anyhow. :) That and Cobb Stage 2.5/3 WRX's and so on.[/quote] Yup, I agree! Hope he doens't do a disapearing act again! I have to say, Kev, coming form a sports car to the GT has forced me to change my perceptions a bit. But, I am slowy understanding what GT car is VS a sports car..but I don't feel that just because its a GT it has to sacrifice its sporty charecteristics. To be honest I think I miss some of the qualties of a well ballanced sports car that the GT just doesn't have. I am at a cross roads with what I want to do and drive. Do I want to spend a wad of money tuning the GT to make it something it wasn't meant to be or should I give up the GT and move to something with the perfect blend of blance and grunt that I am craveing. This is quite a personal dilema..

[quote name='B4_Maniac']Yup, I agree! Hope he doens't do a disapearing act again! I have to say, Kev, coming form a sports car to the GT has forced me to change my perceptions a bit. But, I am slowy understanding what GT car is VS a sports car..but I don't feel that just because its a GT it has to sacrifice its sporty charecteristics. To be honest I think I miss some of the qualties of a well ballanced sports car that the GT just doesn't have. I am at a cross roads with what I want to do and drive. Do I want to spend a wad of money tuning the GT to make it something it wasn't meant to be or should I give up the GT and move to something with the perfect blend of blance and grunt that I am craveing. This is quite a personal dilema..[/quote] When I leave you people by yourselves, all sorts of weird stuff starts happening, like blowoff valve questions, and the like. Jeez... B4, you can make your GT handle significantly "better," as in less body roll, etc, etc, but those qualities will come with a price. You could just slap on some Teins, and off you go. That, coupled with a Stage 1 or 2 from a reputable outfit will have you with a body roll-less, 300 hp Legacy GT.... that still wouldn't be able to run with an STi. But it would be fast, and it would be nice as hell on the inside. You'd be less than a car length behind the STi guy, but you'll be able to hear the music on your 6-disc changer. Just don't get the Teins with pillow ball mounts, unless you want that "I'm making popcorn in my trunk" sound. Your dilemma will be that of a lot of people, who will be grabbing GTs because of the speed, before realizing that the GT isn't a sports car...and now what? :lol: It doesn't bother the Ferrari 456GT driver, and it shouldn't bother a Legacy GT driver, IMHO. But be patient, and I'm sure the aftermarket will offer you all that you would like for your car. Kevin

Archived