LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

several years ago, right after getting matching fitbits, my wife and I hiked mt washington to the bottom of the ravine. We got all the stair climbing badges in one day. Finding a pub that served good beer was a much better reward.

Lol

We did lows bald spot last year with our son. Basically half of Mt Washington. Was awesome. Mostly on the Appalachian trail

• 2 weeks later...

Just passed the two month milestone at the Mercedes dealership. To celebrate, I got my own bay, next to the shop foreman. Still have a month left on my probation period, so I'm assuming this is positive progress.

Still spending half my paycheck on the tool trucks. Had a falling out with the snap-on dealer which has worked in my favor. The Cornwall dealer is 1/3 the cost and goes all out on customer service. Snap-on is more of "don't let the truck door hit you in the a$$."

The tech on the other side is a fitness nut. He's taken it upon himself to get me physically fit. Watching him squat lift a 22 inch suv wheel/tire with no bone cracking noises makes my knees ache. Our goal for this weekend is 300 pushups and 300 crunches. Its 6pm Saturday and the 7 mile husky walk has laid me out. Sunday is going to suck.

Just passed the two month milestone at the Mercedes dealership. To celebrate, I got my own bay, next to the shop foreman. Still have a month left on my probation period, so I'm assuming this is positive progress.

Still spending half my paycheck on the tool trucks. Had a falling out with the snap-on dealer which has worked in my favor. The Cornwall dealer is 1/3 the cost and goes all out on customer service. Snap-on is more of "don't let the truck door hit you in the a$$."

The tech on the other side is a fitness nut. He's taken it upon himself to get me physically fit. Watching him squat lift a 22 inch suv wheel/tire with no bone cracking noises makes my knees ache. Our goal for this weekend is 300 pushups and 300 crunches. Its 6pm Saturday and the 7 mile husky walk has laid me out. Sunday is going to suck.

Just don't overload your body. I suffer from a compressed disc in my spine that sucks from time to time.

453747.png

Just don't overload your body. I suffer from a compressed disc in my spine that sucks from time to time.

after the first couple of days of recklessness, I don't do anything without knowing how to move. Lifting heavy suv tires seems to be the biggest danger. Still, I keep in mind how many younger techs in the shop are working with injuries. The physical training is helping.

Ive revised my 2nd retirement date from 15 years to 5. Would like to make "master" level. The shop has already put me in the old man section...inspecting new cars and getting tradeins ready for resale. lower stress and less time crunches.

I got back in the gym for the first time in 3+ years on Friday, went again today. I need to get back in the routine.

On our trip to the Smokies, I got what I assume is patellar tendonitis - knee pain, particularly when going downhill carrying the daypack - on our long hike.

Talked to my buddy who is a veterinarian and fitness nut (I'm also looking up physical therapists in the area). Said best thing to do is rest and ibuprofen till pain goes away, then exercise more. Can't exactly strengthen the knee joint itself, but can strengthen the muscles around it to limit strain on the knee.

Previously when I've had my gym phases I only focused on bulking up/strength, in the interest of vanity (read: trying to get laid).

Now I'm in my 30s, noticing little signs of my body getting old, and thinking more long term, so looking at conditioning/stretching routines, yoga, etc.

A little frustrated with how amazon has changed, I used to always get things within a couple of days with prime.

Now my orders are typically out like a week, at least, 9 days with something I just looked at. Change the address to CT where I used to live, I'd have it it on Wednesday. I'm only 4 hours from where I lived in CT, it shouldn't take an extra 6 days to get here, I'm not in the boonies either. Yeah, my stuff comes USPS instead of amazon's own delivery service, but still, USPS only handles the last leg of the delivery. Frustrating with how expensive prime has gotten.

Edit: I'm googling this out of boredom, and I forgot something after reading someone else complain. My items don't even ship out and have a tracking number for like a week, so it's mostly processing time it seems, not the actual delivery.

Edited by apexi

I have a similar issue with Amazon. Basically quitting on them. Three times now they have claimed a delivery date until I place the order. It doesn’t ship, I try to cancel the order, they tell me it can’t be cancelled and it’s marked as shipped within the hour (three times in the last three weeks).

I have a whole other set of problems with USPS just sitting on packages for a week at a time.

• I Donated

I had them lose a package once when I ordered it for work... but other than that, it's rare that they're even delayed, let alone for a week or more like you guys are saying.

Wondering if it's an urban vs. rural thing. I have a fulfillment center around half an hour away from me, on the other side of the city.

Wondering if it's an urban vs. rural thing. I have a fulfillment center around half an hour away from me, on the other side of the city.

That fulfilment center is super close to me...I sometimes get same day delivery if I order before noon.

• I Donated
That fulfilment center is super close to me...I sometimes get same day delivery if I order before noon.

I've gotten same-day delivery a few times too.

Of course, the one time they lost the package, it was supposed to be same-day... :lol:

You all starting to see turnover at your company/in your industry?

A few weeks ago I saw an article predicting a huge wave of turnover - people who made up their mind right before covid that decided to stick things out due to uncertainty, or other people who had things happen at work during/as a result of covid that was the final straw.

We've had 2 good people leave in the last 2 weeks, one was that first category, the other was the latter.

I think we are at the normal about of turn over the last year. 2 collage hire moved on after ~3 years for higher wages. 1 Sr person left to go to a startup. 1 wants to leave but wont be missed IMO.

Some or all of these are at the end of a M&A retention period.

two things that still suck....

1) Drive-Thru food places, most still have their dinning rooms closed so the drive thru lines are always very, very long. That's why I hardly go to them anymore. It's honestly quicker (and healthier) to just make something at home.

This is honestly stupid when you really think about it too, I can walk into a costco, buy toilet paper, walk into most stores, buy stuff, but I can't walk into friggin Arby's and order a sandwich :confused::spin:

2) The global semiconductor shortage...still no xbox series x, I keep hearing about these restocks at stores, but they're like unicorns; They don't really exist. Or do they?

:iam:

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I got a ps5 finally. You have to follow drop alert people on social media.

What's wrong with going through the drive through? Besides the obvious fast food is bad for you discussion

• I Donated
You all starting to see turnover at your company/in your industry?

A few weeks ago I saw an article predicting a huge wave of turnover - people who made up their mind right before covid that decided to stick things out due to uncertainty, or other people who had things happen at work during/as a result of covid that was the final straw.

We've had 2 good people leave in the last 2 weeks, one was that first category, the other was the latter.

Oh yeah. Lots of teachers quitting or retiring last summer and this summer. Also hired some temp faculty, half of which is leaving and the other half of which has been hired on to replace some of the long-term teachers who left.