LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

There is no excuse for a mechanical torque wrench to break. Unless it is one of the Chinese made ones.

doa is not the quality i expected. ditching the customer for two weeks was even less expected.

customer service is mostly what you are paying for otherwise what's the point? hf is $20-50.

I really need a smaller torque wrench

I have a 1/2" torque wrench, and a 3/8" torque wrench that I think goes down to 20ft/lbs. I looked into a torque wrench for lower torque values, like the 11ft lbs I think it is that the clutch pressure plate bolts require. Reading reviews, I wasn't overly impressed with the ones I could get for under $100 or so. My biggest concern would be snapping a bolt because there wasn't a strong enough click to let you know you reached the torque, and people say that's especially possible at the low end of the torque range for various wrenches.

I came very close to pulling the trigger on this digital torque adapter instead of a low torque torque wrench. Something else to consider instead of a wrench. https://www.amazon.com/KAIFNT-Digital-Adapter-Notification-Direction/dp/B0852JFT23/

Of course, I might have misunderstood what you meant by smaller torque wrench.

I just picked up a highly reviewed 1/4" torque wrench on amazon. I have other sizes

Which one did you get? I was thinkin of etork, but I don't know.. "Capri tools" had some good deals on their website when I was looking a couple months ago, they seem to be rated okay as well..

Edited by apexi

EPAuto 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (20-200 in.-lb. / 2.26 ~ 22.6 Nm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX4ND65/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RYB11X2W7CBA0J8WR7V8

Just something smaller that I can use when working on the atv etc.

Figured even if it's off 15%, its close enough lol

The larger ones I have are better brands

EPAuto 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (20-200 in.-lb. / 2.26 ~ 22.6 Nm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX4ND65/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RYB11X2W7CBA0J8WR7V8

Just something smaller that I can use when working on the atv etc.

Figured even if it's off 15%, its close enough lol

The larger ones I have are better brands

Here's also some alternatives:

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Hand-Tools/Wrenches/Torque-Wrenches-Accessories/Torque-Wrenches?navid=12102983

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

I looked at the tekton and wasn't excited about some of the reviews on their 1/4"

Ended up canceling order and got this guy

BULLTOOLS 1/4-inch Drive Dual-Direction Click Torque Wrench (20-200in.lb / 2.26-22.6Nm) 90-tooth High Accuracy Torque Wrench with Buckle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHWQYB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BJCM64FZVAXZAQYZQNM5

Millennial/newish homeowner thought - how did people learn how to do diy home repairs pre-youtube?

I don't even mean major renovations, just small stuff. Like a hose bib stem leak or sink handle cartridge leak.

Rely on a paid repairman? Tribal knowledge from friends/family/neighbors? Were hardcopy product manuals readily available? A book on common repairs and how-to steps?

The internet sure has a lot of garbage, but people that make basic diy videos have saved me so much money.

I can't fathom paying a plumber $100+ to come to my house just to spend a couple seconds tightening a packing nut to stop a leak.

Millennial/newish homeowner thought - how did people learn how to do diy home repairs pre-youtube?

I don't even mean major renovations, just small stuff. Like a hose bib stem leak or sink handle cartridge leak.

Rely on a paid repairman? Tribal knowledge from friends/family/neighbors? Were hardcopy product manuals readily available? A book on common repairs and how-to steps?

The internet sure has a lot of garbage, but people that make basic diy videos have saved me so much money.

I can't fathom paying a plumber $100+ to come to my house just to spend a couple seconds tightening a packing nut to stop a leak.

Take things apart and put them back together. Learn by doing on your own. If things get over your head, call in some friend/family help.

I got in trouble for taking all of our electronics and such apart as a kid.

We had relationships with the local hardware store clerks. You would go in and ask questions. Also that was always a buddy who would help. Worse case scenario just do it and hope for the best. Once you learned the right way you would pay it forward.

I’ve done many house projects without having all the instructions. It was always half the fun.

---

Either a paper book or quite common that the part had a small paper delivered with it explaining how to use it. Worked for everyone that wasn't thick as a brick. But DIY was pretty common for a lot of people so all you had to do was to ask your neighbor or father about how to do it.

Today everything just says "don't try this at home, hire a pro" and when you hire a pro you'd get a botched up job and the pet hamster is found crushed under a carpet.

453747.png

Friends and family taught me a ton. We grew up doing 99% of the work on our cars and house.

This old house. HGTV. And I bought a lot of books. The home depot ones are decent. Fine Homebuilding.

• I Donated
I came very close to pulling the trigger on this digital torque adapter instead of a low torque torque wrench. Something else to consider instead of a wrench. https://www.amazon.com/KAIFNT-Digital-Adapter-Notification-Direction/dp/B0852JFT23/

My brother-in-law got me an ACDelco digital torque adapter for Christmas in 2019. Took the 1/2" drive torque wrench out of my trunk, and put in the adapter and a HF telescoping ratchet. Takes less room and is more accurate. Win-win!

I’ve done many house projects without having all the instructions. It was always half the fun.

A lot of smaller things, I still try to see if I can do it without looking up a YouTube video or a forum how-to. I was changing the oil on my riding mower yesterday. Could not for the life of me figure out where the drain plug was. I finally had to admit defeat and go to YouTube. Turns out the drain plug was on the opposite side of the engine from where I thought it was, and it was hiding behind a wiring harness. :spin:

home depot used to hire retired tradespeople to staff the various sections. Usually the 7am to 3pm shift m-f. Now its mostly "idk" ppl. every once in a while you'll get some one knowledgeable who'll get you on the right ttack.

I built my sprinkler system on the floor of the local home depot. laid it all out with the help of customers and workers. Still made multiple trips to fix my mistakes. It's been working for more than a decade and has been expanded twice.

other stuff? I look up the average times to fix and list of tools needed. then calculate the cost to hire someone vs the desire for new tools.

I once paid a plumber to do a complex sink setup. I had to fire him halfway through when I figured out he was guessing. It took me two weeks to learn enough to do the work. A couple years later, I was cussing the bastard who "fixed it" so it would never fail again. The second iteration used unions to avoid cutting pipes.

We have a bathroom project that's been necessary for 20 years. I want to sell the house and make it someone else's problem. My wife is convinced we can do it for less than $100k and get the money back at the sale. We duct taped a shower curtain over the leaking tile wall several months ago. Seems to have fixed the leak. Sum total outlay was $10. We're definitely going to get that back :)