LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

new personal record. offered to quit after 4 weeks to save someone's job. They are quitting instead.

Buying a used car ranks near the top of the list of things to avoid doing ever again. Working as the service tech prepping those cars for sale has to top that. If you don't have ethics, its a piece of cake. However if you have even a shred of decency...I feel like I'm scrubbing slime off instead of dirt.

Only need 5 more months to get my certs.

Does United then turn around and sue the manufacturer? Or the mechanics?

You can be certain that the FAA will investigate the incident, and that both Boeing and the engine manufacturer will be involved, too. But under the Federal Aviation Regulations (administrative law), United is the "operator" of the airplane and bears ultimate responsibility for the incident.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My wife checked one refinance website just to see how much we could save, gave out our home phone # and now it just non-stop spam calls. And not from just one company either, they have since sold our info to 4-5 other companies. Now those are all spamming us too.

Oh and 206-894-####, I F'ing hate U, you know who U R:mad:

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

My wife checked one refinance website just to see how much we could save, gave out our home phone # and now it just non-stop spam calls. And not from just one company either, they have since sold our info to 4-5 other companies. Now those are all spamming us too.

Oh and 206-894-####, I F'ing hate U, you know who U R:mad:

Figure out the phone numbers of your local, state politicians and the party offices and register them for all kinds of services. Let the system work for you.

Of course they can change numbers, but it will at the same time also be an inconvenience for them.

Just make sure you register that data from an address that can't be linked directly to you, like a Starbucks or McDonalds close to the office where the target is.

453747.png

Figure out the phone numbers of your local, state politicians and the party offices and register them for all kinds of services. Let the system work for you.

Of course they can change numbers, but it will at the same time also be an inconvenience for them.

Just make sure you register that data from an address that can't be linked directly to you, like a Starbucks or McDonalds close to the office where the target is.

:lol: nils you're devious

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

What are those calls about anyway? I figure it's a scam of some sort, but is it a phishing scam to get personal data? Or is it just a pushy sales scam, trying to get you to sign up for some kind of shitty extended warranty?

What are those calls about anyway? I figure it's a scam of some sort, but is it a phishing scam to get personal data? Or is it just a pushy sales scam, trying to get you to sign up for some kind of shitty extended warranty?

a little of everything.

My current number used to be masked by a google number. I let it lapse so now all my former business calls come straight through. That the business closed 15 years ago is immaterial. Whenever I pickup and ask to be taken off, everything ramps up for the next couple of months.

If I have free time, I try to keep them on the phone for a long time. They're brokers, so time is money. I always ask for the id number so I can call back when they finally get pissed and hangup. Which gives me a few months of peace before starting over.

You'd think they'd make a note in the system for the next time. My favorites "Oh you're calling back? Did you need another loan? Yes, I do. Wait a minute! that business closed years ago! <dead air> Uh, could I get on the do-not-call-ever-list now?"

When I had the google number? no spam. <tinfoil hat time>

The phone scams these days are endless ... "extended warranty," credit cards, other lending, fake tech support, IRS, Social Security, Medicare, "relative in jail -- needs bail," etc. ... and our elected representatives refuse to do anything about it.

Email is, if anything, worse. I still run my own email server, and I have implemented multiple levels of spam filtering. My personal email account averages about 500 emails received per day (spiking at over 5000 on a recent day) ... more than 95% of which are spam (i.e. unsolicited bulk emails from senders I have no prior relationship with). Of that 95%, the majority originate from IP addresses (or IP address blocks) that are already well-known spam sources. Added to that, the content of nearly all spam email involves some kind of fraud. If SpamHaus (a free spam blocklist service out of Switzerland and Andorra) can identify thousands of known spam sources, so can the U.S. government and/or the major Internet Service Providers ... but for the most part they choose not to.

Edit: According to SpamHaus, over 80% of the spam received in North America and Europe can be traced to fewer than 100 known spam operations. To me, that's an amazing statistic.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The phone scams these days are endless ... "extended warranty," credit cards, other lending, fake tech support, IRS, Social Security, Medicare, "relative in jail -- needs bail," etc. ... and our elected representatives refuse to do anything about it.

Email is, if anything, worse. I still run my own email server, and I have implemented multiple levels of spam filtering. My personal email account averages about 500 emails received per day (spiking at over 5000 on a recent day) ... more than 95% of which are spam (i.e. unsolicited bulk emails from senders I have no prior relationship with). Of that 95%, the majority originate from IP addresses (or IP address blocks) that are already well-known spam sources. Added to that, the content of nearly all spam email involves some kind of fraud. If SpamHaus (a free spam blocklist service out of Switzerland and Andorra) can identify thousands of known spam sources, so can the U.S. government and/or the major Internet Service Providers ... but for the most part they choose not to.

I do similar, here's my sendmail spam filter:

FEATURE(`enhdnsbl', `zen.spamhaus.org', `Message from $&{client_addr} rejected - see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=$&{client_addr}', `t')dnl
FEATURE(`enhdnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net', `Message from $&{client_addr} rejected - see http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?$&{client_addr}', `t')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `psbl.surriel.com',`Message from $&{client_addr} rejected')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl.sorbs.net',`Message from $&{client_addr} rejected - see http://www.sorbs.net')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net',`Message from $&{client_addr} rejected - see http://www.uceprotect.net/ Blacklist Level 1')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net',`Message from $&{client_addr} rejected - see http://www.uceprotect.net/ Blacklist Level 2')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net',`Message from $&{client_addr} rejected - see http://www.uceprotect.net/ Blacklist Level 3')dnl

Yes, I do get valid mail, but very seldom spam.

453747.png

• I Donated

It's one thing to identify IP blocks, but quite another to track the servers down and put them out of business. Add to that that many of these departments are chronicly underfunded, and you end up with a situation like the IRS. The IRS knows that rich people and corporations are cheating like crazy on their taxes... But they don't have the resources to go after the tax cheats, and our legislators (well, to be more precise, one party of the two) had no interest in providing enough funding for them to do so.

And frankly, there's also an issue of technical expertise, or lack thereof. Spamhaus has a bunch of volunteers that contribute to it that actually know their stuff, but hiring those people to work for the government is a whole other story. Especially when the departments are chronicly underfunded... but I repeat myself. ;)

It's one thing to identify IP blocks, but quite another to track the servers down and put them out of business. Add to that that many of these departments are chronicly underfunded, and you end up with a situation like the IRS. The IRS knows that rich people and corporations are cheating like crazy on their taxes... But they don't have the resources to go after the tax cheats, and our legislators (well, to be more precise, one party of the two) had no interest in providing enough funding for them to do so.

And frankly, there's also an issue of technical expertise, or lack thereof. Spamhaus has a bunch of volunteers that contribute to it that actually know their stuff, but hiring those people to work for the government is a whole other story. Especially when the departments are chronicly underfunded... but I repeat myself. ;)

For the IP addresses what I see here is that if they are known then it's also possible to mess up the internet routing by inserting incorrect data in the BGP protocol.

453747.png

I did retirement younger because I wanted to enjoy it without pain. Now I'm older and feeling that retirement every day. Officially retired from my career 3 years ago. Lasted 2 months. went back to school for technical training and started working in said field about a month ago.

Working a job you always wanted to do when you don't have to work completely changes your perspective on work. I make minimum wage and get benefits. So my social security credits keep adding up and we don't pay out of the pocket medical (yeah i know its not quite that but its not 15k/year either).

Covid completely wrecked our plan to buy a used motorhome and tour the country. Still happier than I was 3 years ago. All of my stress related issues have gone away. Getting more stuff done around the house. Interacting with the neighbors, who have been mostly lights in the windows.

I had always heard retirement is about finding a good hobby; I concur. You can only watch so much tv and read so many books. My wife's hobby became a business after 3 months. Shes "working" every day learning and growing. She still calls it a hobby.