LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

Thanks. Enjoy the bitc...I mean beach!
just a quick long weekend trip for my wife’s Bday, it’s a start anyway, we’re looking at other places for Summer.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

February isn’t much better. We get possibly the lamest holiday of the year, Valentine’s Day, at least I’m going on a beach trip that weekend.

What?

February is great!

Black History month you racist cracker!

What?

February is great!

Black History month you racist cracker!

:lol:

At least it's better than January, I'll give February that much. It's slightly less depressing and slightly less antisocial than January too.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

• I Donated
No, what’s racist is that none of the other races have a designated history month at all.
AAPI History Month is May, Hispanic Heritage Month is mid-September to mid-October, and Native American Heritage Month is November. So, that's not even true.

And every month is white history month, because the study of history in the western world is focused primarily on the history of western civilization.

Yesterday I received the notice below from the FAA, concerning Garmin's new emergency autoland system for general aviation (i.e. private) airplanes. And you thought self-driving cars were too futuristic!

Emergency Autoland Overview

Three aircraft have been certified with Emergency Autoland (EAL) systems in 2020: the Piper M600, the Daher TBM 940, and the Cirrus Vision Jet SF50.

EAL systems can perform an emergency landing in the event of suspected pilot incapacitation. When these systems are activated, the autopilot will begin to announce its intentions on air traffic frequencies. Here’s what other pilots in the area should know about EAL systems.

EAL can be activated in three ways:

1. EAL senses erratic flying, stabilizes the aircraft, and checks for pilot responsiveness; if no input, EAL activates.
  2. Emergency Descent Mode (EDM) activates. After descending, EAL checks for pilot responsiveness; if no input, EAL activates.
  3. EAL can be manually activated by a pilot in distress or a passenger.

EAL will squawk 7700 and broadcast a Mayday advisory on the aircraft’s last pilot-selected frequency and on Guard (121.5) as follows:

“Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, November One Two Three Four (N1234), Emergency Autoland activated, standby for more information.”

After the initial broadcast, there will be a 25-second pause for Air Traffic Control (ATC) to move conflicting traffic. Twenty-five seconds after activation, EAL broadcasts the following:

“N1234, pilot incapacitation, XX miles southwest of KABC, landing KXYZ airport. Emergency Autoland in XX minutes on Runway 00.”

The aircraft then begins maneuvering to the selected landing airport.

Subsequent broadcasts will be on Guard. After initial activation, it will immediately broadcast on Guard if EAL changes destination due to weather or other factors. As necessary, the aircraft descends in the hold at the final approach fix for landing at the emergency airport.

EAL will broadcast on the appropriate ATC frequency or Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) within 12 miles of the landing airport. Subsequent broadcasts at intervals repeat information and update time to landing. After landing, EAL broadcasts at 90-second intervals on Tower/CTAF and 5 minutes on Guard as follows:

“Disabled aircraft on Runway 00 at KXYZ airport.”

Once activated, the EAL system will make verbal announcements to passengers in the cockpit on upcoming maneuvers, and indicate the route of flight and ensuing maneuvers via a video map display. A push-to-talk button is available for passenger communications to ATC.

EAL will avoid: prohibited areas; known obstacles and terrain; and significant weather.

EAL does NOT:

• Check Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) (e.g., closed or shortened runways).
  • Avoid Military Operations Area (MOA), Special Use Airspace (SUA), Restricted Areas, or Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR).
  • Turn on aircraft lights (lights that are already on when EAL activates will stay on).
  • See and avoid other traffic.
    • Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) is not linked to EAL.

EAL Operational Considerations:

• Only selects airports with a published Global Positioning System (GPS) or Area Navigation (RNAV) Approach
  • May cross international boundaries
  • Does not exit the runway
  • May land opposite direction to current traffic
  • Does not receive braking action reports
  • Does not know about personnel and equipment on the runways
  • Will not alter route of flight per ATC instructions
  • Must have a terrain database loaded (may be out of date)

The EAL system selects a suitable landing airfield based on several factors: weather, wind, runway length, and towered/non-towered airport status. EAL selects towered airports over non-towered airports where possible, and uses runway requirements that depend on the aircraft type. If the system loses the GPS signal, the airplane continues straight flight without attempting to land until GPS coverage resumes.

This notice is being sent to you because you selected "General Information" in your preferences on FAASafety.gov. If you wish to adjust your selections, log into https://www.faasafety.gov/Users/pub/preferences.aspx where you can update your preferences.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

House I bought has pretty much failed inspection. Deal is probably gonna fall through. Only out $400 for the inspection. Saved me 10k in repairs I’d have to do on day one. (HVAC is toast, water heater is toast, plumbing and foundation issues) Back to the search. Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

House I bought has pretty much failed inspection. Deal is probably gonna fall through. Only out $400 for the inspection. Saved me 10k in repairs I’d have to do on day one. (HVAC is toast, water heater is toast, plumbing and foundation issues) Back to the search.

I had one like that where the inspector actually was detailed (4hr inspection) and found mold/rot under the sun room, so structural and foundation damage. Would have been an estimated $50k to fix; needless to say, we didn't buy that house.

• I Donated
House I bought has pretty much failed inspection. Deal is probably gonna fall through. Only out $400 for the inspection. Saved me 10k in repairs I’d have to do on day one. (HVAC is toast, water heater is toast, plumbing and foundation issues) Back to the search.
Ask for $10k in closing help to fix the issues and see if the seller says yes.

My house was appraised at $13k under list, and there were a bunch of small things on the inspection. We had offered list, but asked for a $13k adjustment and $4k in closing help. I thought for sure the sellers would do, like, half of that at most. Nope, they gave us 100% of what we asked. I guess they figured they'd have to lower the price no matter what, so might as well give us what we asked, and not have to deal with finding another buyer that would still ask for the same stuff.

Ask for $10k in closing help to fix the issues and see if the seller says yes.

My house was appraised at $13k under list, and there were a bunch of small things on the inspection. We had offered list, but asked for a $13k adjustment and $4k in closing help. I thought for sure the sellers would do, like, half of that at most. Nope, they gave us 100% of what we asked. I guess they figured they'd have to lower the price no matter what, so might as well give us what we asked, and not have to deal with finding another buyer that would still ask for the same stuff.

That’s what we’re doing. We’ll see, but I’m not holding my breath. Realtor is trying to rope me into a home warranty, unfortunately I read contractual indemnity agreements for a living and home warranties are typically airtight and also useless.

Brought to you by Pfizer

• I Donated
We got a home warranty for free with the house. Got a free dishwasher from it.

$10k may not be enough for those problems

[emoji38] I didn't see the list before.

Yeah, $10k probably won't cover just HVAC and HWH alone. Our HVAC was like $12k... granted, it's a high end energy efficient one, but still. And "foundation issues" is a wide open category that could be anywhere from the minor mold issues we had in our basement (95% fixed by a high end dehumidifier and some drainage fixes, at a cost of ~$2k), to the $40k we were quoted for digging away from the foundation and applying waterproofing on the outside, to actually having to shore up a slab.