LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

Need more space with my GTI for camping and beach trips. Debating tow hitch cargo tray vs roof rack with cargo box or tray.

Leaning towards roof cargo box, seems the most practical.

Car had plenty of room when it was just the girlfriend and I, but with the dog things are cramped.

What about one of those Thule trunks that are hitch mount? Hitch mount racks are typically just easier. When we had our roof mount bike rack, my wife at 5'3" couldn't really get them up or get them down by herself.

What about one of those Thule trunks that are hitch mount? Hitch mount racks are typically just easier. When we had our roof mount bike rack, my wife at 5'3" couldn't really get them up or get them down by herself.

Pics of wife...and the rack. :hide::dm:

---

The thule trunks are big $$$. A hitch cargo tray plus weatherproof storage tote would do the same thing for a lot cheaper, so that's one option in looking at.

Wouldn't be getting any bike or other attachments. Car is low enough and gf is tall enough she'd be able to load/unload the roof.

Have also seen mixed things on installation for my car. Have seen some people say need to cut/trim the rear diffuser to get the tow hitch installed, some say they didn't have to do that.

Hitch does seem easier though, plus depending on wind noise, I don't think I'd want to keep roof rack on all the time

Edited by stm25rs

What's up man?!
Nothing much, been busy since second son was born late November 2019. 2020 was crazy with Covid and having a baby in the house.

Haven't been active on here for a while. Legacy doesn't drive anymore. I kept it for parts but don't know when ill get a replacement.

Oldest tested positive for Covid19 on December 18. No symptoms except a headache and a small rash on his upper lip. No cough or fever.

Hes doing well, we all got tested and came back negative.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

The thule trunks are big $$$. A hitch cargo tray plus weatherproof storage tote would do the same thing for a lot cheaper, so that's one option in looking at.

Wouldn't be getting any bike or other attachments. Car is low enough and gf is tall enough she'd be able to load/unload the roof.

Have also seen mixed things on installation for my car. Have seen some people say need to cut/trim the rear diffuser to get the tow hitch installed, some say they didn't have to do that.

Hitch does seem easier though, plus depending on wind noise, I don't think I'd want to keep roof rack on all the time

What model car do you have again?

---

Wassup, mang?!?! Hope you and yours are well.

Same old! Still have the BRZ, 60k miles on her now, but have been distracted lately by old 944's... fun cars to mess with. How goes it here? Usual suspects still hanging out? How's everyone been??

Fidel is back too, I see. Merry Christmas, LGT :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

2018 GTI, 4 door

As mentioned, slightly concerned about ground clearance with the hitch cargo tray, but then again, I'm in Maryland, so camping trips to Appalachian mountains = not very rugged terrain.

That is a low car.

Out of all the subarus I have ever owned, including a 5 speed GT, my favorite so far has to be the Forester Sport. Maybe because I’m older, or just because of how util the car is!

---

Next vehicle will almost definitely be a truck or SUV. Or maybe a wagon.

The GTI is a great car, but I rarely get to take advantage of the sportiness.

I work in sales which means a lot of boring highway driving. I live in a city, but do a lot of back road driving on weekends for hiking/camping.....but have the girlfriend in the passenger seat and dog in the back seat, so can't do any spirited driving then. Having the sporty GTI is like paying for a hooker then just talking to her.

Also, will only have this car for another 2 years tops, so that's factoring in to my cargo expansion decision. I figure roof rack and cargo box should have good resale value if I end up not using them on next vehicle

Work's vehicle reimbursement policy requires car be less than 5 years old, and less than 70k miles. I'm just shy of 40k miles. If things are more back to normal in 2021 and can visit more customers, I'll hit that 70k by mid 2022.

Next vehicle will almost definitely be a truck or SUV. Or maybe a wagon.

The GTI is a great car, but I rarely get to take advantage of the sportiness.

I work in sales which means a lot of boring highway driving. I live in a city, but do a lot of back road driving on weekends for hiking/camping.....but have the girlfriend in the passenger seat and dog in the back seat, so can't do any spirited driving then. Having the sporty GTI is like paying for a hooker then just talking to her.

Also, will only have this car for another 2 years tops, so that's factoring in to my cargo expansion decision. I figure roof rack and cargo box should have good resale value if I end up not using them on next vehicle

Work's vehicle reimbursement policy requires car be less than 5 years old, and less than 70k miles. I'm just shy of 40k miles. If things are more back to normal in 2021 and can visit more customers, I'll hit that 70k by mid 2022.

Love my truck. Bought it when I got rid of the spec b in 2016. ( I still miss my B.... ), but the truck is great. I ended up still having a need for speed, so I scratched that itch as well, but if I had to pick, I'd likely pick the truck. Super comfortable. The PERFECT vacation vehicle (in four door at least). Great in the weather. And obvious utility.

Wow! Whats up bud? I was gonna text you the other day! How's things?

Good as can be expected, I can't complain. Since I last posted up in here, I'd been coaching tennis, steering clear of the car hobby, then covid came.

Since lockdown in March I've been playing with a few project cars. Rebuilt and painted an '84 Porsche 944, reviving a 92 Mazda MX-3 V6, as well as a low-mileage E46. Still got the Volvo 740 Turbo wagon, and the BRZ. Too many in the driveway, and that's not counting the 944 parts car or my ES300 beater :lol:

How's things by you?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You should stop by the PA. dR has gone full conspiracy-theory hack. [emoji38]

Fulton! What's up? Not touching that one with a ten footah, brother. That's one deep rabbit hole!! :eek:

Moved over to an s5 sportback! Just a tad smaller and twin turbo 6's are a bit more reasonable than a twin 8 :lol:

Very nice. A friend just picked up a nicely optioned dealer leftover 2020 SQ5. Audi sure do know how to make an interior.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Love my truck.

Definitely strongly leaning truck, midsize would probably be enough for my needs. Really digging the looks of the Colorado.

Girlfriend has been balking at the idea of a truck but I think she'll come around. Her issue is mostly environmental. I don't need all the space for my job, which is the bulk of my driving, so it would be kind of a waste of fuel.

We do eventually want a couple kayaks, and like you said with bikes on the roof, would be a pain loading yaks on a roof. And we'll be moving into a bigger house with a yard, so gardening/landscaping, other projects...so we'd get good use out of a truck.

Guess if I want to go that route, I'll just have to get it before we get engaged/married so she doesn't have as much of a say lol

I have a 2nd gen Ridgeline. I opted for it over the Colorado because I have a carseat for the munchkin. It's also comfortable, and handles well for a truck. The trunk in the back is massive and always useful. There's definitely a stigma around it where I live, but f*ck the haters.

Brought to you by Pfizer