LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

do tell?

Moving closer to parents, but today was an excessively bad day, hit a toe, got a parking ticket and found a bottle of leaking ATF fluid in my storage area - as far in as possible that I had forgot that I did put it there some 20+ years ago. At least it didn't fill the whole floor of the basement.

453747.png

I moved into a condo with a 2car garage. It was easy to unload the truck directly to the garage, then haul up what I needed later. At some point on the day of unloading, I put my bag of groceries down thinking to haul them up later. Later, when I moved out, I found the groceries and the 3cans of frozen orange juice. It took some effort to scrub the residue off but passed the moveout inspection with the "oil stain" intact.

• I Donated
Rock auto has good prices if yer particular, but $200 for shipping? Cant you call it profit like everyone else?

Cant complain to much. The cheapest crank bearings elsewhere are double the price for the same part#

WTF are you shipping? A literal shortblock? :lol:

Back to work tomorrow. It was a good 6.5 day break (since the last day I worked was Tuesday, and I worked from home and was mostly done by 2pm).

I don't think people quite grasp the sea change that is coming, we live in a very historic time.

The strange election and the pandemic aside, we are making significant strides in Quantum Computing, which will accelerate the Technological Renaissance that is currently underway and help leap humanity into the future.

Researchers from the Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology (CQC2T) working with Silicon Quantum Computing (SQC) have located the 'sweet spot' for positioning qubits in silicon to scale up atom-based quantum processors.

https://phys.org/news/2020-11-quantum-sweet-position-atom-qubits.html

''''''End of nerd transmission'''''''

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I don't think people quite grasp the sea change that is coming, we live in a very historic time.

The strange election and the pandemic aside, we are making significant strides in Quantum Computing, which will accelerate the Technological Renaissance that is currently underway and help leap humanity into the future.

https://phys.org/news/2020-11-quantum-sweet-position-atom-qubits.html

''''''End of nerd transmission'''''''

And of course someone will use it to calculate The Nine Billion Names of God.

453747.png

RIP Walter E Williams (1936-2020)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2020/12/03/in-memoriam-walter-e-williams-1936-2020/

The world lost an intellectual giant this week when the economist Walter E. Williams passed away. Williams was the John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics at George Mason University, an economist’s economist, a scholar’s scholar, and an unparalleled communicator of economic wisdom and ideas. He loved liberty, defended it eloquently, and went to great lengths to show how good intentions don’t readily translate into good outcomes.

Williams’s work and commentary was informed by a deep understanding of how free people in free markets find ways to help one another.

And of course someone will use it to calculate The Nine Billion Names of God.

Looks like that someone could be China :lol:

Chinese Scientists Claim Breakthrough in Quantum Computing Race

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-04/chinese-scientists-claim-breakthrough-in-quantum-computing-race

Chinese scientists claim to have built a quantum computer that is able to perform certain computations nearly 100 trillion times faster than the world’s most advanced supercomputer, representing the first milestone in the country’s efforts to develop the technology.

Chinese researchers are competing against major U.S. corporations from Alphabet Inc.’s Google to Amazon.com Inc. and Microsoft Corp. for a lead in the technology, which has become yet another front in the U.S.-China tech race.

And in the latest rendition of my dad can beat up your dad, or my Qcomputer can beat up your Qcomputer:

Google said last year it has built a computer that could perform a computation in 200 seconds that would take the fastest supercomputers about 10,000 years, reaching quantum supremacy. The Chinese researchers claim their new prototype is able to process 10 billion times faster than Google’s prototype, according to the Xinhua report.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a new tech cold war:lol:

A girl I went to college with is a high end real estate agent in NYC. She posts some "Just Sold" stuff on Facebook.

Examples:

3 bed, 2 bath, 1347 sq ft. $2,225,000. And it's a condo, so condo fee of $495 per month.

And a recent "Just Rented" - 3 bed, 3.5 bath, 3000 sq ft. $17,450 per month.

Looks like that someone could be China :lol:

Chinese Scientists Claim Breakthrough in Quantum Computing Race

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-04/chinese-scientists-claim-breakthrough-in-quantum-computing-race

And in the latest rendition of my dad can beat up your dad, or my Qcomputer can beat up your Qcomputer:

Ladies and gentlemen we have a new tech cold war:lol:

If they can do that we're kinda screwed. All of our encryption software is built on the premise that computers can't work that fast. They'd be able to view anything.

If they can do that we're kinda screwed. All of our encryption software is built on the premise that computers can't work that fast. They'd be able to view anything.

And cheap counterfeit clones are already for sale in AliBaba!

But when do we get Warp Speed capability. That is the real question.

---

And cheap counterfeit clones are already for sale in AliBaba!

But when do we get Warp Speed capability. That is the real question.

Been working on it for a decade now, supposedly China has the upper hand on that too,

EmDrive: China claims success with this ‘reactionless’ engine for space travel

By Jeffrey Lin and P.W. Singer - March 20, 2019

It’s a piece of space tech that sounds almost too good to be true. The “reactionless” Electromagnetic Drive, or EmDrive for short, is an engine propelled solely by electromagnetic radiation confined in a microwave cavity. Such an engine would violate the law of conservation of momentum by generating mechanical action without exchanging matter. But since 2010, both the United States and China have been pouring serious resources into these seemingly impossible engines. And now China claims its made a key breakthrough.

Dr. Chen Yue, Director of Commercial Satellite Technology for the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST) announced on December 10, 2016 that not only has China successfully tested EmDrives technology in its laboratories, but that a proof-of-concept is currently undergoing zero-g testing in orbit (according to the International Business Times, this test is taking place on the Tiangong 2 space station).

The computer was built specifically to solve one type of equation. They did a calculation in 200 seconds that would have taken the worlds fastest super computer 2.5 billion years to solve.

It is essentially a proof of concept. But if you extrapolate the theory to the real world, read about cryptography and understand how everything we do on the internet is dependent on encryption - the implications are scary.

The boy asked cute boys permission to propose (well sort of in his cute awkward way) and asked me for the ring last weekend. Our gal shared with me a few years ago that as a child she used to sneak in to my jewelry box to try on the ring. It’s my mother’s engagement ring- maybe 3/8 a carat, though high quality..it’s all she’s ever wanted. Tiny! It seems the big day may be tomorrow when they head out to the mountains in west NC where they met. I’m not ready for this!

JJBerk - you are now in for some intense time of planning and a happy outcome!

Soon to be grandmother?

Nah- not any time soon!! I think the wedding may be 2022- after she graduates with her masters. Hopefully then they’ll move back to the general Baltimore/DC area and THEN have kids. And I can’t wait! We’re so happy for them. He’s a good guy.