LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

The last computer I built uses a 5 drive array of 1 TB 7200 WD Caviar drives for a total capacity of 2.? TB. I was at Costco recently and saw I could buy a 10TB backup that fits in my pocket for $150. The drive array cage cost more than that.

Started looking for an upgrade last January to a reasonably equivalent system. In the meantime borrowed a decent gamer rig from a friend. In roughly 22 months, the $5000 system I originally priced has become $2000. Cpu & video prices have dropped so much.

RTX 3080 just joined the chat.

Go price that baby out.

---

go back 30 years and the same question was raised about 10gb.
btdt. :) Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Go back 30 years and the same question was raised about 10GB.

I kept the 10MB drive my dad bought for our cp/m computer network in the early 80's for many years. It took several years to fill it up with 3-7 computers active at any one time using it for shared space. It was the size of a decent gamer rig today.

tech moves so fast

/nerd

First "computer" was the Commodore 64

Added a 1541 5 1/4" floppy drive.

First PC was an Epson 8088 with a 9.4mhz "turbo" with two 5.25" floppy drives (still no HD)

Little non fact the “turbo” button actually slowed down the PC? The processors were too fast for the games of that time and would make them run at twice the speed. So the turbo slowed it down

Edited by laz
---

Sis I know the “turbo” button actually slowed down the PC? The processors were too fast for the games of that time and would make them run at twice the speed. So the turbo slowed it down

Yep, non-turbo was 4.7 MHz

I had an old sub game that would make a cha-chunk sound for a deck gun at 4.7, “chunk” for 9.4, and on a 386 16 a year later it was as too fast to hear the sound.