LegacyGT.com

Cobb STS install now weird rattle

Ok I've been chasing this sound for a couple weeks and im looking for some input, hoping others have had the issue. :confused:

05 LGT wagon. 5MT Did the cobb adjustable STS install. Now I have this crazy rattle in acceleration coming from the shifter. Ive taken it out several times and check the o rings around the bottom, re-greased it, and checked the bolt and tightened it. I'm starting to lean toward changing the original white bushing at the bottom and new O rings, thinking maybe its not seating right with the new shifter. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Did a search and seams like other people had rattles coming from heat shields and crap. This is directly related to the shifter. You can grab it and it quits, you can move it slightly forward and it quits or lift up on it. Its worse in 2nd and 4th.

EDIT: Yes I did trim the metal plate back for clearance.

Edited by thecoolmankyle
details

FWIW, you can drive the car without those heat shields. 90% of mine have been removed for many years. I have not rattles that might can from them.

That big one over the drive shaft was the first to be removed back about 2011.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, you can drive the car without those heat shields. 90% of mine have been removed for many years. I have not rattles that might can from them.

That big one over the drive shaft was the first to be removed back about 2011.

Yea I have already had 2 rattles I had to chase down because of them, they are probably going soon! I wish this was a heat shield they are easy to deal with.

The fork to shifter is most likely too tight and/or the shifter is adjusted too short. I would start by raising the shifter to the suggested setting and loosening the shift fork. It only needs like 5 ft. lbs. of torque. That's barely over finger tight.

The fork to shifter is most likely too tight and/or the shifter is adjusted too short. I would start by raising the shifter to the suggested setting and loosening the shift fork. It only needs like 5 ft. lbs. of torque. That's barely over finger tight.

Well out to the car I go. I know I way over tightened it then! I'll report back!

My old Cobb sts buzzed all the damn time, no matter what I did new bushings, lubed everything up I even installed a brand new shifter basket. This was in 3-5 on a 5 spd.

I sold it and went back to stock. The noise instantly went away and driving is so much more peaceful

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

I have a 6MT Cobb STS for my STI 6MT swap and it rattles a lot of times. Comes from the reverse lockout ring, if I hold it then it is quiet.

I don't know if it due to the fact that it is hollow but from what I hear it is Cobb STS's "feature".

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I have a 6MT Cobb STS for my STI 6MT swap and it rattles a lot of times. Comes from the reverse lockout ring, if I hold it then it is quiet.

I don't know if it due to the fact that it is hollow but from what I hear it is Cobb STS's "feature".

Yea I just got out of my car and I think I’m gonna look at the kart boy. I love the adjustment but dang the rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That happened to me too with the 6mt cobb sts. I had to twist the reverse lockout cable around the shifter to tighten it up. It was too loose after I shortened the throw and was rattle around inside. Went away after a couple twists.

Good luck

-Mark

That happened to me too with the 6mt cobb sts. I had to twist the reverse lockout cable around the shifter to tighten it up. It was too loose after I shortened the throw and was rattle around inside. Went away after a couple twists.

Good luck

-Mark

Uhm, actually that sounds like a great idea! I will try to undo the handle and give it couple of twists, may be that will put enough tension on the ring without making it too difficult to operate.

Thanks for the suggestion!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K