LegacyGT.com

You're already set up for EJ20X - this is much less catastrophic for you because of it. 900 bucks is way better than 5k for an EJ257 build. Breeeeeaaaathe

But howwww? I spent so much money just under 22 months ago. May seem like a long time ago but for me it is not. I seriously can't stand this sh*t anymore.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You paying someone else to do the work? Do you have space where you could do it yourself? It's a 900 dollar motor, but I can see where you'd get deeper into it paying someone else to get it in the car for you.

That said, if all the necessary tweaks to make the JDM motor in the USDM car have been made, it literally takes half a day to swap a complete long block.

You paying someone else to do the work? Do you have space where you could do it yourself? It's a 900 dollar motor, but I can see where you'd get deeper into it paying someone else to get it in the car for you.

That said, if all the necessary tweaks to make the JDM motor in the USDM car have been made, it literally takes half a day to swap a complete long block.

Thanks for the comment. When it first happened I did pay someone to do the work.

Sadly I do not have anywhere to do the work myself. I could try to do it at my buddies place but not sure if I could do it there. I would have to talk to him first...I was ready to get some power out of it. I should buy a new ECU too? Since it was a pro-tune.

Also, yes $900 is way better than $5K but not sure when I would have the time to do it with my upcoming very hectic summer schedule.

I guess an extra $200 for a motor is not bad. I just hope I can cancel my turbo order.

Also, would a knock/spun bearing cause a CEL to come on?

It may or may not trigger a CEL, depending on additional symptoms.

Shouldn't need a replacement ECU. How was your JDM swap set up? Did the shop source a JDM ECU and wire the exhaust AVCS, or are the exhaust gears static and you're still running the USDM ECU?

Do you have a known good turbo you can get on the car? If you did spin a bearing, the one that's on the car is contaminated (assuming it wasn't the cause of the spun bearing in the first place). If the turbo isn't wrecked, one of the other owners of my shop space has had good success pressure flushing the bearing journal after a bearing failure, so it can be re-used if cleaned thoroughly.

It may or may not trigger a CEL, depending on additional symptoms.

Shouldn't need a replacement ECU. How was your JDM swap set up? Did the shop source a JDM ECU and wire the exhaust AVCS, or are the exhaust gears static and you're still running the USDM ECU?

Do you have a known good turbo you can get on the car? If you did spin a bearing, the one that's on the car is contaminated (assuming it wasn't the cause of the spun bearing in the first place). If the turbo isn't wrecked, one of the other owners of my shop space has had good success pressure flushing the bearing journal after a bearing failure, so it can be re-used if cleaned thoroughly.

Thanks for the comment. Ah I see.

I am running the USDM ECU.

Turbo seems to be fine. I never had an issue with it since I had the turbo. I could get a rebuilt one off hill country for $450 worst case scenario.

Not sure what I want to do. The shop still wants me to bring it in to ensure it is a rod knock (to me and others it most definitely sounds like one). Makes sense now, random loss of power, hesitation, jittery turbo gauge (that started happening the same day I got the tune).