LegacyGT.com

60,000 mile maintenance

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum as I purchased a 2015 Subaru Legacy Touring 2.5 a few months ago for my children to share.

It is a really great car and it was very reasonably priced considering the level of equipment.

After doing research, I made a list of all the maintenance I think I should be doing in the next few weeks. The car now has 65,000 miles.

Oil and filter change

Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

Replace transmission fluid

Replace differential fluid

Replace PCV valve

Replace fuel filter

I changed the cabin and air filters a month ago.

Are these all necessary?

Thanks

Lisa

Oil and filter change

Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

Replace transmission fluid

Replace differential fluid

Replace PCV valve

Replace fuel filter

Are these all necessary?

No. Refer to the schedule in the official Subaru Warranty & Maintenance Guide that you should have received with your Legacy. Specifically, the last four items in your list are unnecessary. The only routine maintenance scheduled for the CVT transmission and differentials is to inspect for fluid leaks.

The Warranty & Maintenance Guide does schedule fuel filter replacement at 72,000 miles, but that is complex and expensive, so most service shops consider it unnecessary unless you routinely use poor-quality and/or contaminated fuel.

Do not just ask your dealer to perform a "60,000 mile service" on your Legacy. That's like handing the dealer your checkbook. All you want done is what Subaru recommends, nothing more.

2015_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I will stick to the following:

Oil and filter change,

Replace brake fluid,

Replace spark plugs,

checks of the fluids and look for leaks of any type.

I usually buy the parts myself and have my local mechanic do the labour.

Lisa

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I will stick to the following:

Oil and filter change,

Replace brake fluid,

Replace spark plugs,

checks of the fluids and look for leaks of any type.

I usually buy the parts myself and have my local mechanic do the labour.

Lisa

Not a bad idea to throw PCV valve in there as well. $25 part and very minimal labor. I intend on doing mine every 60k when I do plugs!

Get a brake fluid tester and check it before throwing money down the drain.

My brake fluid was still good in my Legacy at 75k miles. I traded the car in before I hit 80k so I couldn’t test it again. My current car just past 60k. It’s fine.

My daughter’s car is 13 years old and I just replaced her brakes (dang drums) at 95k and her fluid was fine.

Get a brake fluid tester and check it before throwing money down the drain.

My brake fluid was still good in my Legacy at 75k miles. I traded the car in before I hit 80k so I couldn’t test it again. My current car just past 60k. It’s fine.

My daughter’s car is 13 years old and I just replaced her brakes (dang drums) at 95k and her fluid was fine.

What were you testing for and where from? Moisture or copper; reservoir or zirc fitting?

Regardless, your experience is not my experience. I’ve checked two vehicles with drum brakes, one with < 60k miles, and both had black gunk effluent and then very dark fluid until the flush fluid from the master cylinder finally reached each zirc fitting.

I would bet my house AGAINST any brake fluid 13 years old coming even close to the new spec. Brake fluid is simply too cheap to risk going that long.

//

If the OP has the funds, a brake fluid flush should be on the list. Just make sure the flush is from the reservoir in the engine compartment down through the caliper zirc fittings. I asked one dealer, who said that all this service consisted of for them was siphoning out and replacing the fluid in the reservoir only; no zirc bleeding.

I would also add in transmission and differential fluid CHANGE if you have the money.

//

I recommend replacing the PCV valve. I just did so at 55k miles and it was pretty gunked up. It would not rattle, even after a quick douche of brake cleaner.

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Hi. Thanks for all of your help. I have ordered all the parts and fluids I need to have my local mechanic do the work, including front rotors and pads, which need replacing.

The only fluid I have yet to buy is brake fluid. How much brake fluid do I need to do a complete flush?

Thanks

And its usually ~$7 at your local walmart. If you are doing the rotors and pads, you'll already have everything opened up; I'd bleed & flush them unless there is a record of that done in the last 10/15k miles...