LegacyGT.com

Noise when hitting large bumps after putting new tires/rims on

I put some new tires and rims on my 2013 Legacy 3.6R yesterday. The tires are 245/45/18 so they are a little bit bigger than stock. Took them for a drive right after I got them and when I hit a bump, I heard a "clang" noise that sounded kind of like a rock coming out of the tread and hitting something metal. I chalked it up to that but on my commute this morning I hit a bump and heard the same noise (came from the front end).

When I got to work I took a quick look and didn't see any kind of rub marks anywhere in the wheel well or on the shocks. Does anyone have any ideas for what it could be?

What is the offset of the rims?

Offset is +40.

To add, there isn't any abnormal noise when driving otherwise.

Edit: Willtheyfit.com says they should have more clearance for brakes etc than the stock rims. When I installed them I put hubcentric rings on and torqued the lugs to 73 ft lbs. I'm kind of at a loss for what it could be unless it's just coincidence that it started happening after I put them on.

Edited by darkstar107

When I bought my car it had those sized tires with a 8.5" rim with 45mm offset plus 15mm spacer (so 30mm total) with rolled and pulled fenders and it was eating the inner fender liners up on bumps.

You might have to roll your fenders, maybe some one else can chime in on fitment. I currently run +45mm (no spacer) and stock height tire.

When I bought my car it had those sized tires with a 8.5" rim with 45mm offset plus 15mm spacer (so 30mm total) with rolled and pulled fenders and it was eating the inner fender liners up on bumps.

You might have to roll your fenders, maybe some one else can chime in on fitment. I currently run +45mm (no spacer) and stock height tire.

I took a closer look and turned the wheels all the way in both directions and looked behind as much as I could and saw absolutely nothing that could even come close to contacting the tires. There also isn't any marks on the fenders and it doesn't sound like rubber hitting something; it sounds like something hard hitting metal.

At this point I'm starting to think that it was rocks coming out of the tread (there's some in there) and it was just a coincidence that it sounded very similar.

Do you have the stock suspension?

Yes, stock suspension

Should be clear with a 40 offset.

When I went from a 42 to a 35 offset, there is no way in driving it without rolling/pulling the fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I asked on here about the size a few months ago and got a reply from someone who had the same setup with no issues.

Edited by darkstar107

• 2 weeks later...

At stock hiegth you shouldn't have any issue rubbing. How hard are you hitting these bumps lol ?

I have been running 225/45R18s for several years and never had a problem. It's only now that I lowered mine that it rubs a little now on the freeway.

Your overall circumference should be similar to stock but your tire width is larger now.

At stock hiegth you shouldn't have any issue rubbing. How hard are you hitting these bumps lol ?

I have been running 225/45R18s for several years and never had a problem. It's only now that I lowered mine that it rubs a little now on the freeway.

Your overall circumference should be similar to stock but your tire width is larger now.

The 45 in the tire size is an aspect ratio. So the sidewall is 45% of the width. Increasing tire width but staying the same aspect ratio will increase the circumference of the tire. 245/45 tire has a sidewall height of 110.25mm vs a 225/45 with a 101.25mm height. Overall diameter changed from 25.97in to 26.68in.

Now not that big of a change and others have ran it without rubbing.

Also missing wheel width here

Edited by MarcoLGT

On my commute there's a dip in the road that compresses the suspension quite a bit. I did find that one of the tabs on the inside of the fender (that holds the plastic in place) was sticking out quite a bit so that may have been what was rubbing. I've just been taking that section a little slower (50 instead of 60 km/h) and haven't had any rubbing. I haven't had the guts to go 60 to see if my tab theory is correct. But there's absolutely no marks that I can see on the tire so, as mentioned, it must have just barely been touching.

The 45 in the tire size is an aspect ratio. So the sidewall is 45% of the width. Increasing tire width but staying the same aspect ratio will increase the circumference of the tire. 245/45 tire has a sidewall height of 110.25mm vs a 225/45 with a 101.25mm height. Overall diameter changed from 25.97in to 26.68in.

Wheel width is 8.5 inches.

See reply to quote above for the possible fix regarding the metal tab on the inside of the fender.

Are the hard foam bump stops on the damper shafts still present and in good condition?

Ya, nothing seems to be wrong with the suspension.

Edited by darkstar107

I would also check to see if one of the plastic push rivets didn't break and causing the fender liner to sit lower then normal. Should be able to inspect without removing tire or jacking up car.

Turn the steering wheel all the ways to left and check both sides then turn steering wheel all ways right and check again. After all its just cheap little plastic push rivets that hold the bumper and liner in. Hopefully for your sake it's as easy as replacing one or 2.

I found my cell phone to be very handy to take a video and see where my head don't fit.

Overall diameter changed from 25.97in to 26.68in.

Again why I said should be similar. But thank you for explaining the math.

Edited by Locosiete
Typo

I posted that then checked the overall diameter and realised it was not that big of a difference. Post wasn't neccessary and you were spot in from the get go, my bad.

There were some other factors not given like wheel width. Tire manufacturer can also play a big role, but all this info is out there between this forum and many others. Problem has been solved but at the fear of still rubbing at 60 kmh.

On my commute there's a dip in the road that compresses the suspension quite a bit. I did find that one of the tabs on the inside of the fender (that holds the plastic in place) was sticking out quite a bit so that may have been what was rubbing. I've just been taking that section a little slower (50 instead of 60 km/h) and haven't had any rubbing. I haven't had the guts to go 60 to see if my tab theory is correct. But there's absolutely no marks that I can see on the tire so,

Definitely follow Locosiete's advice and check to make sure all the push pins are in and good beforehand.

I say give it a go at 60 and see what happens. No damage to the tire which is a good sign. what's one more time?

Edited by MarcoLGT

I posted that then checked the overall diameter and realised it was not that big of a difference. Post wasn't neccessary and you were spot in from the get go, my bad.

To clarify when I said thanks you for explaining the math I actually meant it. Many people, including myself for many years, never actually knew the formula.

To clarify when I said thanks you for explaining the math I actually meant it. Many people, including myself for many years, never actually knew the formula.

Happy to help when I can. I know often things can get lost behind a keyboard. A few times I read a post of mine and feel I sound like an A-hole and that's not my intention, nor do I think you sounded that way.

I miss-read your original post then felt like my post was not 100% necessary but at least some good info came from it. And that's the point of these forums, to learn and help others. But we have to be careful not to spread misinformation as well, which is not the case here either.

Best of luck to ya!

There were some other factors not given like wheel width. Tire manufacturer can also play a big role, but all this info is out there between this forum and many others. Problem has been solved but at the fear of still rubbing at 60 kmh.

Definitely follow Locosiete's advice and check to make sure all the push pins are in and good beforehand.

I say give it a go at 60 and see what happens. No damage to the tire which is a good sign. what's one more time?

I would also check to see if one of the plastic push rivets didn't break and causing the fender liner to sit lower then normal. Should be able to inspect without removing tire or jacking up car.

Turn the steering wheel all the ways to left and check both sides then turn steering wheel all ways right and check again. After all its just cheap little plastic push rivets that hold the bumper and liner in. Hopefully for your sake it's as easy as replacing one or 2.

I found my cell phone to be very handy to take a video and see where my head don't fit.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been really active lately because I've been working from home for the last few weeks and not driving a whole lot. I'm back in the office next week so will have to hit it at 60 again and see if it still does it.

I took a closer look with a flashlight and I found a spot on the plastic which may be the source of the rubbing. There's a small spot where the plastic sticks out a little bit passed the fender. The tab that I mentioned that pushed in would have pushed the plastic in closer to the fender a little so hopefully that's all it was.

9cf30ca783b86a6f6036390a91701537.jpg

Just got my apex arc-8s 17x9 et42 with 245/40s on stock suspension and they’re rubbing a ton. I hear a loud whining noise when I pull and hit bumps. I’ll send another picture that’s shows how much clearance there is on the inside. Should I just roll the fenders?

9cf30ca783b86a6f6036390a91701537.jpg

Just got my apex arc-8s 17x9 et42 with 245/40s on stock suspension and they’re rubbing a ton. I hear a loud whining noise when I pull and hit bumps. I’ll send another picture that’s shows how much clearance there is on the inside. Should I just roll the fenders?

670cad9e3ce06a5aab3d4a8c6a97c38b.jpg

Gonna take the wheels off and see if it’s rubbing on the inside too

That's a 4th gen

Definitely a roll and maybe a pull, check in the 4th gen section they'll be more help.

Tires look to be BFG Comp A/S. If so those things meaty on the sidewall or corner tread. All tire brands will fit differently.