LegacyGT.com

Not starting, New starter, rapid claicking and "Er 1u" code

I just replaced my starter and when I went to start it (by jumping) the starter clicked rapidly and the car would not start. I also got the Er 1u error in the odometer which I read means that there is an error in the Body Integrated Unit or a very dead battery. My question is since I am jump starting shouldn't it start after a while of being connected to the other car? I am also concerned by the rapid clicking. any ideas?

Did you clean the battery terminals ? are they tight ?

How old is the battery ?

Some will last 7 years. Others not so much. I normally replace mine before its 6th Winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like the battery isn't up to the task.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't I still be able to start it by jumping it?

Did you clean the battery terminals ? are they tight ?

How old is the battery ?

Some will last 7 years. Others not so much. I normally replace mine before its 6th Winter.

Terminals are tight and I will give them a more thorough cleaning today. I am not sure about the age of the battery. I have had the car for five years, but do not know if or when it may have been changed by the previous owner.

In theory you should be to disconnect the battery cables and hook them directly to the jumper cables and see if you can start the car.

Dose that sound right ?

I know I have connected jumper cables to the winch power connector on the trailer and used the winch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In theory you should be to disconnect the battery cables and hook them directly to the jumper cables and see if you can start the car.

Dose that sound right ?

I know I have connected jumper cables to the winch power connector on the trailer and used the winch.

I tried that resulting in the same rapid clicking. I am hoping that the issue is bad corrosion in the positive battery cable where it connects to the clamp. I have the nut soaking now. I'll report back after I look at it.

If you have a known working battery from another car just remove it from the other car and connect it to the terminals in place of the current battery temporarily to see if it starts. If it does then you’ll know you need a new one for sure.

If you have a known working battery from another car just remove it from the other car and connect it to the terminals in place of the current battery temporarily to see if it starts. If it does then you’ll know you need a new one for sure.

I tried that and the result was the same rapid clicking.

Is the trigger wire on the starter tight? If you have a test light, have someone attempt to start the car while probing the trigger wire. You should have 12v all the time on the main power wire at the starter and power on the trigger wire while cranking.

Is the trigger wire on the starter tight? If you have a test light, have someone attempt to start the car while probing the trigger wire. You should have 12v all the time on the main power wire at the starter and power on the trigger wire while cranking.

Is the trigger wire the small wire at the back of the starter underneath the power line?

If it's not below, its next to it. Its hooked to the Male spade on the starter.

I did reconnect that when I was instating the starter. I'm going to take it all apart to see if I missed anything once it stops raining.

• 3 weeks later...
I finally had a chance to work on it again today. I connected a battery pack directly to the starter and it started right up. I then tried to jump it and again got the rapid clicking with no start. I am think that the issue maybe the cable to the starter, any thoughts?

Sounds like you're on the right track. It wouldn't be hard to make your own and give it a try. Have you tried checking the power wire at the starter with a test light? It should be very bright. If the ground is not clean, that can cause a similar problem. May be a dumb question, but did you connect the power wire to the correct terminal on the starter? Edited by 08SpecB_DE