LegacyGT.com

Wheel and tire noob looking for help

MoneyShift

I hardly know anything about wheel fitment and I need some advice. I just got an ‘05 LGT in Garnet Red on the 20th of February. With the money I got from selling my old car to a friend of mine I am now in the market for a set of summer wheels (I’ll be keeping the stock set for my winter tires being that the tires are already on them and they are basically brand new) Let me preface this by stating that I have just about no clue what I’m talking about when it comes to wheels aside from the basic understanding that if something for example is an 18’x8’ the wheel is 18’ tall and 8’ wide. I have an understanding of bolt patterns so I know that I will need 5x100. My plans are to get a set of 18’ wheels and my first question is what would be the right wheel width on my car? I don’t want to have to roll my fenders to make anything fit and being that I plan on having this as a daily driver (on top of being a first time Subaru owner) I am not too keen on messing around with the body of the car. My brother has an ‘09 WRX and is telling me I should get 235 tires to reduce the cost of getting new tires(saving money is cool). Basically this thread boils down to what size wheel and tire setup should I go for?

What tire size to get is going to boil down to what you want the car to look like. Do you want an aggressive track style or a more stance setup with camber? These will factor into what wheels and tires to get. Your suspension is also important, what is the current setup on the car?

This website has a community gallery with the specs of each wheel setup, do through and see what you like and go from there

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wheel-offset-gallery?sort=date&year=2005&make=Subaru&model=Legacy&drive=AWD

Most use road/track 18xX or 17xX, off-road/rally 16xX or 15xX. The 18xX will give you less sidewall so the ride will be rougher and you will increase the chance of damaging the rim when you hit a pothole, though there is a small chance of that happening it's still a risk. I run a 17x8 with 1 inch lower springs and it the fitment is a mix of stock and aggressive