LegacyGT.com

2001 B4 Dash Light issue

Holy sh** same thing might be happening with my car. Everything was fine last week, it even started fine on the couple of really cold days we recently had up here in Winnipeg.

Then yesterday morning as I was driving, gauge cluster lights suddenly turned off while driving. It came back on after about 20 seconds and car seemed fine.

As I tried to left in the afternoon, car started fine but noticed that my handbrake light wont turn off after disengaging the handbrake. Weird I thought but everything else seemed to work as I tried to drive. But a few blocks down the road, the battery light came on. Then a few more blocks the check engine light came on. Car was feeling a bit slow at this time.

Then a few more blocks gauge cluster went completely dead. Radio stopped working, A/C stopped working and wont turn on. I pulled over but the engine seemed to keep going fine. Popped the hood and checked for weird smells but nothing. Called to drive it back home and somehow made it but I can definitely feel the car was very slow to respond to the accel pedal.

Today I checked my fuses, both under the hood and under the driver seat and they all looked intact. Checked my battery and it was under 12v. Tried to start the car but all it can manage is a measly few cranks and car wont start.

Will call my local garage tomorrow morning as they are closed to see if they can take a look at the battery. Right now the battery is my primary suspect but if there's anyone out there that is more experienced please chime in.

I just got this car a few months ago and this issue happens randomly.

Sometimes when I turn on the car the dash lights do not come on but the Hazards are lit up but all lights work fine I just can't see the gauges. Any help of what it could be I would appreciate the help. https://imgur.com/a/cK5d8oW

Looked at your picture again, it looks like your gauge cluster is still working. Either a loose wire to your gauge lights, or a fuse. I'm not sure how the gauge cluster is wired up but if everything else in your car is fine..

As for my issue, I replaced my alternator. Never knew alternators can also burn out:

f2PWGGc.jpg

If you notice the top connector's melted, it's what i've been smelling burning from the cabin the past 2 months :lol:

Edited by giiyanman