LegacyGT.com

Outside Door Handle, Rear Wiper Problems, Rear Dome Light

Hi there,

Have three issues that I'm hoping to get solved on my '05 Legacy GT Wagon Limited.

First: My rear passenger side door won't open from the outside but opens from the inside. Seems like a common problem and saw on the forums that I'll need to replace the assembly, but it also sounds like I'll need to get the assembly color matched to my car? Will I be replacing the whole door handle for this? Where did you guys source your part from?

Second: Rear wiper won't activate and the window washer also won't operate leading me to think it's a wiring issue as opposed to bad wiper motor. Read on a thread that there might be "broken wires in the rubber boot up by the hinges." Anybody have any tips/ideas what's going on here and what's the best fix.

Finally... trunk dome light won't stay on. Flickers when you open the door but then goes out. Light turns on when not on the door setting so I know the bulb is good. I'm suspecting another wiring issue? Anybody dealt with this and have any tips?

Sorry for the long post, I'm a noobie here but loving the car and the community. Cheers!

The wagons have a tendency to wear through the wires at the hatch opening. There's a boot there you need to pull back to inspect. That's where I'd check first. If that is the case, you'll just want to cut out the bad section and splice in new wire. Lots of ways to do that but shrink wrap and solder is preferred.

As for the handle, can't say anything for certain, but if it were me I'd search for a color match one of another vehicle from a part out or the local junkyard or car-part.com. If that's what you need. I believe all outbacks and legacies share door handles but some non turbos had black instead of color matched handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are multiple threads around here regarding the wagon hatch wiring issues. Here are the ones I have bookmarked; I have not yet had any issues with my own wagon, but I have a feeling someday I will...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagons-beware-tailgate-electricals-161086.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagon-gate-does-not-lock-115360.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/walkthrough-replace-wagon-wire-harness-238160.html

As Nonamedude said above, the most common thing to do is to go through and check each wire, and then cut out the broken sections and splice in new wire where necessary. There is also the option of just replacing the entire wiring harness (see the 3rd link).

If I remember correctly, the majority of wires go through the rubber boot on the right side, and are for things like the wiper, back up lights, 3rd brake light, and hatch locking mechanism. (And maybe the cargo area interior light, I'm not sure...) The radio antenna wire, rear window washer hose, and maybe a ground wire or two go through the left side.

Hope this helps! Sorry, I can't be of much help pertaining to your door handle issue.

Edited by csaari