LegacyGT.com

Head-Unit Install Advice

zenkick

First off, thank you to everyone who has contributed in these forums. It's been a treasure-trove of information and has really helped me figure out the direction I want to go with my install.

I have an 05 OBXT with factory sub. My goal is to have Ipod, Sirius and 2 aux-in's, so I'm thinking of chosing the Alpine 9855 as my new head-unit (I believe I can convert the cd changer interface on this unit to a secondary aux-in.)

I have some questions left that I wasn't able to find explicit answers for here in the forum. Hopefully someone can help me out.

1.) Does anyone know how this new head unit will sound connected directly to the factor speakers and sub? Eventually I can see myself installing an amp and new speakers, but wanted to do that as a second phase only if necessary. If nobody has information on this specific HU, in general what type of wattage should I look for in an aftermarket HU that will drive the factory speakers and be relatively as loud as the factory HU?

2.) Based on some posts here, I'm going to assume the factory pseudo-sub/amp is split from the rear speaker outputs of the factory HU... Can I just mimick this configuration with an aftermarket HU like the 9855 and "T" off the rear speaker outputs? (Yah, I know the 9855 has a sub pre-amp out, which I may eventually us when I install a real amp and real sub.)

3.) If I want to use the output from the factory HU as a source on the 9855, and don't want to spend the $350 on a CleanSweep just for that. What speaker/line converters would be recommended? I plan on retaining the use of the factory 6 CD changer, just for those times when I need to play a CD, which will be rareley-- so I don't care about the dynamic EQ curve so much in the factory HU.

I've ordered the DIN Cubby unit from AVO, and am working on getting a forward and a reverse 14 pin harness, and a reverse harness for the sub from "svxdc". I'll also be getting the Metra antenna adapter so I can use the factory antenna.

I'm also planning on removing the top cubby from the glovebox, fitting/mounting the Sirius and Ipod controllers in it, and reinstalling. Anyone do this yet? Problems to be aware of? Any other locations where it can be installed out of the way?

I think that about covers it.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the information here. I've been mostly lurking for nearly a year, and am quite impressed with the collective knowledge pool of the forum members.

1.) Does anyone know how this new head unit will sound connected directly to the factor speakers and sub? Eventually I can see myself installing an amp and new speakers, but wanted to do that as a second phase only if necessary. If nobody has information on this specific HU, in general what type of wattage should I look for in an aftermarket HU that will drive the factory speakers and be relatively as loud as the factory HU?

In my last legacy I had an Alpine CDA-9833 powering my factory speakers (doors + tweets). I did not power the OEM sub, as I had a decent aftermarket setup. Overall I was very pleased with the sound. The OEM speakers did a good job of handling the output from the Alpine. In my opinion the Alpine head unit was second to none. No other aftermarket HU really compared to the Alpine as far as power/stability when I bought it (1.5 years ago). I had hoped to use this same deck in my 06, but alas I have decieded against it for many reasons (all of which you will find in this forum).

I have an 05 OBXT with factory sub. My goal is to have Ipod, Sirius and 2 aux-in's, so I'm thinking of chosing the Alpine 9855 as my new head-unit (I believe I can convert the cd changer interface on this unit to a secondary aux-in.)

Great HU, one of Alpine's best mainstream products in a while. Yes, with accessories you can add multiple inputs to the CD changer input. They will all need to be in the Alpine DIN-plug format, which can be a pain. I think there is another product out there that acts as a switching module between severl inputs & gives a single RCA out that can run directly into the HU, a better option IMO.

That's subjective, but I believe you can count on it sounding better than the stock HU. I'd upgrade your front speakers if at all possible, it'll be well worth it - I think you'll be disappointed after all that work if you don't. The sub will probably still sound boomy, but worth keeping. The Alpine should have noticeably more power than the stock HU. Alpine's onboard amps have been pretty respectable lately. While it's still only 18 wpc or so, it's a pretty sincere 18w. Just be sure to run a new, seperate pos straight to the battery, I'd do 12g + and a new ground. Definitely don't use the factory hookup there.

2.) Based on some posts here, I'm going to assume the factory pseudo-sub/amp is split from the rear speaker outputs of the factory HU... Can I just mimick this configuration with an aftermarket HU like the 9855 and "T" off the rear speaker outputs? (Yah, I know the 9855 has a sub pre-amp out, which I may eventually us when I install a real amp and real sub.)

Correct about the sub, just tap into the harness downstream from where the sub taps in. Should be fine.

3.) If I want to use the output from the factory HU as a source on the 9855, and don't want to spend the $350 on a CleanSweep just for that. What speaker/line converters would be recommended? I plan on retaining the use of the factory 6 CD changer, just for those times when I need to play a CD, which will be rareley-- so I don't care about the dynamic EQ curve so much in the factory HU.

Your biggest concern w/ the LOC here will be ground loops & alternator noise. Try to find one that gives you some options for bal/unbal outs and/or different ground isolation configurations. I'm not current on what's out there & what's good these days.

You've got a CD player in the new HU, why keep the stock HU in the system? If you do remember you'll be T-ing into all the harness connections instead of just plugging into the molex connector with an adapter.

I'm also planning on removing the top cubby from the glovebox, fitting/mounting the Sirius and Ipod controllers in it, and reinstalling. Anyone do this yet? Problems to be aware of? Any other locations where it can be installed out of the way?

I'd go under the pass seat with both of these. No good reason to clutter the GB.

Another thought - if you're planning on using the iPod adapter (the 410 or something) be sure you play with it first - a lot of users including me found the adapter more of a PITA than it was worth & that glidestrip isn't all it's cracked up to be. In theory it's great, but the application isn't quite there yet IMO. It was too difficult to deal with while driving. I will say that the SQ is better with the adapter tho.

Good luck.

the stock speakers with an aftermarket HU sound excellent to me. if i could change anything, it would be their location, but aftermarket speakers won't fix that. your ears will be the judge, though - try the factory speaks, and if you aren't pleased, its a project for another time.

i'd be more concerned about the sound of the factory sub over the factory speakers - the wife's WRX has the underseat sub and i think its crap. (i don't listen to rap or "big bass" music, BTW - i'm talking about the sound quality.) again, if you're happy with it, then use it.

i used a Scosche LOC from the local Pepboys. sounds very good through my aftermarket HU - maybe even better than the stock unit alone. i wasn't sure how this was going to work, but it worked out much better than i thought it would. if i understand correctly, the factory EQ will start cutting frequencies at higher volume, so keep the factory volume fairly low going into the LOC.

I'm also planning on removing the top cubby from the glovebox, fitting/mounting the Sirius and Ipod controllers in it, and reinstalling. Anyone do this yet? Problems to be aware of?

if you have the factory cabin air filter (or want to install your own), be aware that it is behind the glove box "cubby" (owner's manual shelf). you may want to install your stuff in such a way that it doesn't make access even more of a problem. depending on your build date, you make have the "easy access" or the "pull your entire interior apart" model. if its the older glovebox design, you may want to modify it while you're doing the install so you can get to the filter easily. i cut a piece out of the rear of the glove box and made my own access panel while i was doing my stereo.

good luck. :)

Great HU, one of Alpine's best mainstream products in a while. Yes, with accessories you can add multiple inputs to the CD changer input. They will all need to be in the Alpine DIN-plug format, which can be a pain. I think there is another product out there that acts as a switching module between severl inputs & gives a single RCA out that can run directly into the HU, a better option IMO.

After some further research, I'm going to use the Alpine 410 Versatile Link Terminal. From it you can jack in two Ai-NET devices, and it gives you two line-ins. Assuming it will fit, I'm going to mount that in the armrest storage area, along with the iPod adapter. I'll run my cabling to/from the HU right down the center console.

That's subjective, but I believe you can count on it sounding better than the stock HU. I'd upgrade your front speakers if at all possible, it'll be well worth it - I think you'll be disappointed after all that work if you don't.

Good advice. If I finish my speaker research then I'll get them ordered at the same time. But it may very well have to wait for another day. I've started pulling apart the door just to get familiar with it, and it's pretty much a pain. I don't want to break any of the clips or things.

Just be sure to run a new, seperate pos straight to the battery, I'd do 12g + and a new ground. Definitely don't use the factory hookup there.

Why wouldn't the factory hookup suffice? Or is a separate line more of a precautionary measure? I guess if I do that I should get an inline fuse, too.

You've got a CD player in the new HU, why keep the stock HU in the system? If you do remember you'll be T-ing into all the harness connections instead of just plugging into the molex connector with an adapter.

Yah I know. I have my 14 pin forward and reverse harnesses on the way (thanks svxwrx!), so the T'ing should not be an issue. It doesn't seem like too much more work to keep using the factory changer, plus it'll give me 6 more CD's, and make me feel that much better for not totally disbanding the factory HU.

I'd go under the pass seat with both of these. No good reason to clutter the GB.

Well, with the powered passenger seat and the sensors for the airbag, I wasn't sure I wanted to mess with that. I think I'll just throw the Sirius unit in the glove box. I have that easy access glove box where the manual shelf just pulls right off. The Sirius unit should fit right in there.

Another thought - if you're planning on using the iPod adapter (the 410 or something) be sure you play with it first - a lot of users including me found the adapter more of a PITA than it was worth & that glidestrip isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Yes, I heard that so many times, too. But reading the reviews on the other brands' interfaces, Alpine still has the edge. Since I'm planning on using my old iPod just for the car, I'll have it configured in a more car-friendly mode-- using a ton of playlists to facilitate picking music-- rather than searching the raw library.

i used a Scosche LOC from the local Pepboys. sounds very good through my aftermarket HU - maybe even better than the stock unit alone. i wasn't sure how this was going to work, but it worked out much better than i thought it would. if i understand correctly, the factory EQ will start cutting frequencies at higher volume, so keep the factory volume fairly low going into the LOC.

I picked up the four channel Scosche. I hope I have the same luck with it. Going to definitely pick up a ground-loop/hum eliminator, too-- just in case.

if you have the factory cabin air filter (or want to install your own), be aware that it is behind the glove box "cubby" (owner's manual shelf). you may want to install your stuff in such a way that it doesn't make access even more of a problem. depending on your build date, you make have the "easy access" or the "pull your entire interior apart" model.

I believe it's easy access. The manual shelf just pulls right out. I'm going to drill some holes in the back of it for the power and Ai-NET leads, and mount just the Sirius unit in the manual shelf. Can just unplug things and pull it right out to get back there.

Thank you to all for the advice and replies. I'm looking forward to my Thanksgiving project. :-)

Going to definitely pick up a ground-loop/hum eliminator, too-- just in case.

mine has no ground loop noise or alternator hum - try it out before you install the noise suppressor and put everything back together. you probably won't need this and can return it.

You'll want a new power wire b/c the Alpine will pull considerably more current than the stock HU wiring is geared for - the more juice you feed it the more power that amp will have. And remember the stock HU will be running on the stock power supply too, which is pretty puny. I believe a new line will give you an audible improvement in mid-bass. Most Alpine's come with an inline noise supressor already (mostly worthless IMO) and definitely a good idea to fuse it at the battery. 25 amp is plenty.

I doubt you'll get the 401 in the armrest b/c of the connectors protruding on 2 sides. Do you need access to it, the sirius unit & link terminal? If no, get 'em out of the way & save your space. Plenty of room under the seat, you don't have to disconnect the airbags, just pull the seat bolts & rock it back. There's also room up in the dash.

Be sure to post some pics for us when you're done. good luck.

You'll want a new power wire b/c the Alpine will pull considerably more current than the stock HU wiring is geared for - the more juice you feed it the more power that amp will have. And remember the stock HU will be running on the stock power supply too, which is pretty puny. I believe a new line will give you an audible improvement in mid-bass. Most Alpine's come with an inline noise supressor already (mostly worthless IMO) and definitely a good idea to fuse it at the battery. 25 amp is plenty.

OK good stuff. Should I also find another ground, or will the ground out of the harness suffice?

I doubt you'll get the 401 in the armrest b/c of the connectors protruding on 2 sides. Do you need access to it, the sirius unit & link terminal? If no, get 'em out of the way & save your space. Plenty of room under the seat, you don't have to disconnect the airbags, just pull the seat bolts & rock it back. There's also room up in the dash.

OK, I was just concerned about messing up the airbag sensor. I'll check out the room under there. The only access I really needed would be to the aux in ports on the unit, and possibly the trim control. I can always run RCA extenders into the cubby anyway.

I will definitely post pics!

Thanks again.

Def find a new ground for the same reasons. Ideally I'd re-ground the stock HU & LOC where the Alpine goes to prevent ground loops.

Scroll down to pics of Sirius & Ipod controller on a board under the seat -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14570&highlight=56k+warning

Since I'm running power from the battery anyway, I think I'll just bring the negative side of the battery with it.

Regarding mounting under the seat, I don't have the same clearance as you. There are a couple of cross-bars and some more harnesses, probably due to the passenger side being powered. Is your passenger side powered?

I'm pretty sure the Sirius interface will slide under there (without a board) with only a slight protrussion into the leg/feet-room, but not sure about the dual-ainet. I don't want to have to run it all the way to the hatchback if I don't have to... I'll figure it out one way or the other.

Has anyone used the speaker outs as audio inputs to their amplifiers? Any comment on the quality?

I am using good quality LOC's and i have to say that the sound quality of my system is good.. I'll tell you when i finally figure out a way to get a real head unit in my car the difference..

Either way even if there was never a possiblity of upgrading the head unit I would have still put the stereo in. Its 20x better then stock.. just 15x less good then it could be with the proper source

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Well I am following this guys thread on an aux input to the stereo through tuner in.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21047&highlight=door+panel

I am going to go with this over the blank cd approach since I wont have to kill the life of the spinner motor. That being said, using the aux in, there is no RCA out comming out of this so I gotta use the speaker outs.

Whats a approx comparison between the quality of the RCA vs. Speaker out when used to signal an amplifier?

Thanks

Archived