LegacyGT.com

Head Gaskets

So at 110K my 2010 head gaskets failed. So I payed $2500 for head gaskets replacement that included the heads and valve seats resurfaced, new water pump, thermostat, fan water temp switch, and oil pressure switch. I also had them use the 5th Generation Subaru recommended blue antifreeze. We used Peak OET blue from Autozone.

Anyway now my car has much more power and pep when I hit the pedal. Not sure if I am going to have to do this every 100K miles.:rolleyes:

So at 110K my 2010 head gaskets failed. So I payed $2500 for head gaskets replacement that included the heads and valve seats resurfaced, new water pump, thermostat, fan water temp switch, and oil pressure switch. I also had them use the 5th Generation Subaru recommended blue antifreeze. We used Peak OET blue from Autozone.

Anyway now my car has much more power and pep when I hit the pedal. Not sure if I am going to have to do this every 100K miles.:rolleyes:

Was that Subaru or independent dealer????

I can't believe that after all these decades that the head gasket thing is still a thing. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen to my 2011, as I've already had to replace the clutch at 90k, cam seals at 95k (along with a premature timing belt/tensioner replacement because the original was soaked with leaky cam oil), and now at 110k I'm troubleshooting a leaking A/C system. I'm on my fourth and probably final Subaru.

I can't believe that after all these decades that the head gasket thing is still a thing. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen to my 2011, as I've already had to replace the clutch at 90k, cam seals at 95k (along with a premature timing belt/tensioner replacement because the original was soaked with leaky cam oil), and now at 110k I'm troubleshooting a leaking A/C system. I'm on my fourth and probably final Subaru.

I also pray my '13 doesn't have the infamous head gasket failure. Mine is only at 87K miles, with no major issues. I essentially baby it lol :spin:

I also pray my '13 doesn't have the infamous head gasket failure. Mine is only at 87K miles, with no major issues. I essentially baby it lol :spin:

I haven’t heard any head gasket issues with the ‘13 and up FB motors. Hopefully it dies with the EJ series.

I haven’t heard any head gasket issues with the ‘13 and up FB motors. Hopefully it dies with the EJ series.

If i'm not mistaken, they started using the FB motors on the '13 and up models right? I haven't heard many bad things about the more recent engines when it comes to head gaskets.

If i'm not mistaken, they started using the FB motors on the '13 and up models right? I haven't heard many bad things about the more recent engines when it comes to head gaskets.

FB25 made it to the Legacy and Outback in the US for 2013. The Forester got it in 2011. The only issue I’ve heard of on the FB25 is an extended warranty for excessive oil consumption.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15126251/subaru-fb-series-engine-subaru-flat-four-engines/

FB25 made it to the Legacy and Outback in the US for 2013. The Forester got it in 2011. The only issue I’ve heard of on the FB25 is an extended warranty for excessive oil consumption.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15126251/subaru-fb-series-engine-subaru-flat-four-engines/

Ya there was an oil settlement agreement. I think if there's an issue, Subaru has to repair the issue free of charge: as long as it is due to excessive oil consumption.

I love driving my Legacy but I have never had a car with these kind of issues. I worry about the CVT transmission as well. This will be my last Subaru.

I have never had any issues with my Toyotas. I gave my Camry to my son and then my daughter. Going strong with 359K miles on it and no major repairs. I currently have an FJ Cruiser and Avalon and they have been bulletproof. Over the years I have had 7 Toyota's and 3 Lexus's and the only replacements have been CV joints and water pumps over 100K miles.

I just wish Subaru made a more dependable powertrain.

I love driving my Legacy but I have never had a car with these kind of issues. I worry about the CVT transmission as well. This will be my last Subaru.

I have never had any issues with my Toyotas. I gave my Camry to my son and then my daughter. Going strong with 359K miles on it and no major repairs. I currently have an FJ Cruiser and Avalon and they have been bulletproof. Over the years I have had 7 Toyota's and 3 Lexus's and the only replacements have been CV joints and water pumps over 100K miles.

I just wish Subaru made a more dependable powertrain.

Toyota has always been conservative with changes in its lineup. But it and many other automakers have the same issues Subaru does, especially with new technology. The fj cruiser has like 30 year old technology in it, so of course its more reliable it's very simple by today's standards. As are the Camry and it's related platforms. Toyota has a huge customer base and so can rely on conservative approaches to its lineup. But that means it will eventually fall behind competitors. Which matters to some but not all customers.

The difference has been when problems do arise Subaru has a good reputation for getting them taken care of.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Toyota has always been conservative with changes in its lineup. But it and many other automakers have the same issues Subaru does, especially with new technology. The fj cruiser has like 30 year old technology in it, so of course its more reliable it's very simple by today's standards. As are the Camry and it's related platforms. Toyota has a huge customer base and so can rely on conservative approaches to its lineup. But that means it will eventually fall behind competitors. Which matters to some but not all customers.

The difference has been when problems do arise Subaru has a good reputation for getting them taken care of.

Toyota has become a bit less reliable, compared to Honda most recently. Toyota has had more engine faiures more recently compared to Honda. I just hate how most Auto Manufacturers are going to only the CVT. Maybe they should keep it as an optional choice.

The 2010-2012 2.5i head gaskets were changed to MLS gaskets. Head gasket failures are more of rarity with this type of gasket. The prior generation 2005-2009 2.5i head gaskets were inevitability going to leak, which in this generation it is a rarity. The FB25 should be improved because the cylinder bores are smaller so they have more sealing area.

Toyota has become a bit less reliable, compared to Honda most recently. Toyota has had more engine faiures more recently compared to Honda. I just hate how most Auto Manufacturers are going to only the CVT. Maybe they should keep it as an optional choice.
I think in the future more customized choices are likely, but the current market deems it necessary to have the most easily saleable product on the lot to close a sale immediately. Because as a consumer waiting is a terrible idea, and as a salesman waiting means the likelihood of losing a sale increases drastically.

• 9 months later...
The 2010-2012 2.5i head gaskets were changed to MLS gaskets. Head gasket failures are more of rarity with this type of gasket. The prior generation 2005-2009 2.5i head gaskets were inevitability going to leak, which in this generation it is a rarity. The FB25 should be improved because the cylinder bores are smaller so they have more sealing area.

I think this is incorrect. The 2010-2012 2.5 turbos used the superior MLS head gaskets, but the NA 2.5s did not, and have shown frequent failures. If replacing your gaskets on an NA 2.5, be sure to use the MLS gaskets that were used on the turbos. Same fit, much better reliability. Subaru will still sell you the original shitty gaskets, and you'll be replacing them again in 100k if you're not lucky. Some owners got a little more mileage out of them by doing coolant changes and adding the coolant/gasket conditioner in the little blue bottle. Before problems arose, of course.

I think this is incorrect. The 2010-2012 2.5 turbos used the superior MLS head gaskets, but the NA 2.5s did not, and have shown frequent failures. If replacing your gaskets on an NA 2.5, be sure to use the MLS gaskets that were used on the turbos. Same fit, much better reliability. Subaru will still sell you the original shitty gaskets, and you'll be replacing them again in 100k if you're not lucky. Some owners got a little more mileage out of them by doing coolant changes and adding the coolant/gasket conditioner in the little blue bottle. Before problems arose, of course.

I am correct. The 2.5i head gasket uses the same part number as the 2.5GT. I owned a 2012 2.5i that I bought new. If you have the lower engine cover off, crawl up under your 2.5i. You can see the metal head gasket between the block/head.