LegacyGT.com

Rain Water Under Passenger Dash 1999 Outback

It's raining like crazy and I'm getting water on the passenger floor. I have rubber all-weather floor mats and I can see water running down the mat starting up high where the mat is under the dash.

It's winter so I am not using the AC so it can't likely be condensation from the evaporator but I've been reading of all kinds of plugs in this line or that line and looking for some ideas.

I suspect water is running down the windshield like it is supposed to do and then due to some kind of plug outside finding it's way into the cab of the car. Maybe the evaporator line is also plugged and the water from outside is finding its way into the evaporator unit and due to plugged drain line, flowing over and running down my floor mat.

I guess I would like to figure out if I am likely dealing with two plugged lines or just one plugged line. Anyone with experience on this kind of issue.

I do all my own work except wheel alignment and glass. A couple years ago I got my windshield replaced (original glass from 1995) and the window guy told me that the glass mounting glue had dried out and was open to the outside (Arizona car). I don't know if that is true or crap that mechanics say, but I was getting water on the floor before that and I don't after that. No other work was done to account for this.

Pretty much the way to figure these things out is a really good light, and you get in the seat upside down like an astronaut with your head in the foot well and feet at the roof and then look for the water. If needed have an assistant hose down the outside while you do this.

Just something to think about.

When I was 16 that kind of thing was fine.

I can still do it, but I'd rather not.

Spent two whole weekends doing this to my (new) 2009 Chrysler 300 so I could fix the climate stuff. Book time for that was 10.5 hours. I think I've used up my astronaut budget for the next couple months. ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is the problem you're having, but if you have a sunroof there is a common problem with the drains that run along the A-pillars in some models or the B-pillars in other models depending on the position of the sunroof. The best way that I have found to clear up drainage problems is to go to a gun store (or in some areas a sporting goods store) and purchase a gun cleaning kit look for one made specifically for long lower caliber kits like those designed for a 22 caliber rifle or air rifle. Using the longest extension & brush (it looks like a heavy duty pipe cleaner) spray a non-oily cleaner (such as brake or intake cleaner) into the drain holes on both sides of the sunroof tracks and push the rifle brush through the entire length of the tube. This is a good time to also lubricate the tracks for your sun/moon roof as well. I'd recommend using a non-sticky lubricant such as graphite which you can get at any auto parts store usually labeled keyhole or lock cylinder lubricant (the one I've seen most often is in a small blue bottle with a white top) apply the graphite liquid to the tracks & wipe off the excess, it also works very well in ignition and or door locks, on power antenna shafts & motors, power window regulators / tracks / motors, and door / tail gate / hood hinges. It's an excellent lubricant & doesn't leave a sticky or oily residue & it is less effected by cold temperatures than traditional lubes. The same process works very well in order to clearout any blockage of the drain tube from the evaporative chamber in air conditioning systems. All a/c systems have some sort of drainage tube to remove moisture that is created during the process of running your air conditioning as well as the defogger for your windshield.

Good luck with the water problem, I hope this helps, if so, please feel free to share it on any other forums you post on, and if you have suggestions to improve it please let me know as I do this kind of work on a regular basis & anything that would make it easier or that would work better would be welcome information... ✌️

-Christopher