LegacyGT.com

Scored rotors

Ovcoursitsilver

With only a little over 5,000 km (3,000 miles) on my 05 LGT, I noticed that the brake rotors are scored much more than I'm used to. I can feel the grooves with my fingertip and they're visible from 10 feet away. The rotors on my other cars are all smooth and mirror-like.

Is this typical for the LGT? Is there a service/warranty bulletin for this? I could ask them to turn the rotors but I've had bad luck with thinned-out rotors warping in the past.

I had searched for "scored" and got a couple of hits. I hadn't searched for "brake shake" because I'm not getting brake shake. I searched anyway but it's not really what I'm asking about.

I've been driving this car quite mildly to date: I haven't even taken it on any good twisties yet and I have no intention of tracking it or doing any autocross. So I doubt that I've overdriven the pads.

This is a massive issue for Subaru on a global scale. Unsure why they just didnt go with the WRX setup, cost may have been an issue. Unsure how much it is to upgrade rotors but if u were to upgrade to drilled and cross sloted, including new pads and lines, would our current calipers be able to handle it.

Ada///M.

Have you been late-braking?? Any highway/highspeed braking??

No again to both. About half of the mileage so far has been interstate miles and I'm easy on brakes under those conditions.

I drive my '96 Miata much harder than the LGT and its brakes look perfect after two seasons and well over 10,000 miles. But then I took the time to properly bed-in the pads on the new rotors I installed. Same for the Civic. I guess the LGT's brakes never got properly broken in.

The scoring is really not a major problem yet because the brakes are operating well; I just hate the look of those grooves in the rotors of my new car. I suppose I'll have to do a brake upgrade to fix things. :icon_wink

Archived