LegacyGT.com

Both key fobs stopped working at the same time

Greetings,

I went out of town over the weekend and left my car at home, I left one of my keys at home and brought the other with me. When I got back, my car wouldn't unlock with the key fob. I found out my battery died over the weekend. I got a jump and got my battery tested. The test turned out fine, they said there were no issues with the battery or the alternator. When I got to work, I realized that my car wouldn't lock. I also tested unlock, trunk, and the panic button, and neither of them worked. When I got home, I tried my other fob, and that didn't work. I have already tried replacing the batteries in both fobs. I even took my keys to Oriley's and used their key checker, and it said the battery was fine. The strange thing is that I have had this car for three months, and it has never been an issue before. I have an appointment with the dealership on Monday, I'm just hoping someone has an easy fix for this.

I have a 2018 Legacy 2.5 Premium with 21k miles on it.

EDIT: I don't think it's interference, because I've tested it at home, work, and multiple parking lots. I've even held the fob an inch away from the car, and nothing.

sporadic issues of the same nature on 2017 legacy. the fob cannot do anything and the car cannot start. this lasts for about 20min. then it comes back to life. it is not the fob battery as I tried the second key, which was never used.

I suspect it is sth inside the car that stops communicating with the fob. going to dealer on Thursday.

• 1 month later...
EDIT: I don't think it's interference, because I've tested it at home, work, and multiple parking lots. I've even held the fob an inch away from the car, and nothing.

so what did the dealer say?

i had 09 legacy and 15 forester, they both have exact same issue like yours. they all worked just fine until a morning i tried to unlocked my forester, its key fob did nothing. tried the spare one next day, same! So, i put new batteries in all three keys yesterday, then found found my legacy's battery is dead (1.42v!).

So i recharged the legacy car battery, now it's fine. And i thought the battery in forester is weak too. But reading is 12.41v. im charging it anyway and see what's happen tonite.

i searched over the internet and found no answer. most ppl suggested to replace a new battery in the keyfob (i did) and check the battery connection (i did), check car's battery (12.41v) and may interference around (i did at work where is about 20+mins away from home, still not work)! The car alarm works fine too ( i locked from inside driver's side door, closed the door, then open the door with the key, its alarm went off, and with the key i could ignite the engine.:confused:

Edited by markc0220k