LegacyGT.com

CA - smog legality of CARB legal intake?

Has anyone had any issues with smog checks lately while leaving their "carb legal" intake on during a smog check? Friend failed his smog at 2 locations because he had a AOS (perfectly legal according to CA law) so it has me concerned about other supposedly "legal" parts.

Been doing mostly aesthetics and driveability mods so far and eventually want to put a catback exhaust on too and anything else that would max out legality. Guess this really depends on the smog tester when doing visual i presume

Edited by kaitanium

AOS is legal as long as it doesn’t remove or relocate the PCV. Grimmspeed is the only AOS legal in California AFAIK. I passed with it.

If you’re worried about smog, I would just put the OEM intake on for the day and use the stock tune it was designed for like you’re supposed to. I’ve been hot smogging so I don’t have to deal with the return to stock BS anymore. Intakes even though they have a CARB sticker need an EO number on it that can be looked up. Most of the time you don’t need an aftermarket intake anyways unless you’re over the 350whp threshold. Stock is more reliable and effective.